Options

Passed CISSP! Also have endorsement questions....

JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
Passed the grueling exam!! icon_cheers.gif ... in a whopping 5 hrs. 55 minutes (included reviewing and breaks - and I'm tired as hell and have been for the past few months, so I took my time icon_rolleyes.gif). However, I have endorsement questions...

From what I've read, prior to the exam, it said you needed 5 yrs. experience related to the domains. I took a rather extended hiatus some years back to get educated and was also victimized by the eco-bust we all faced in the US and didn't come back to IT full-swing until a few years ago... but unless they count what I was doing a long time ago before then (maybe 6 - 8 yrs ago or so), I'll technically have about 4 years, which includes my degree and other certs I've obtained in the past few years that would knock that bonus year off they give you. The problem is, I saw on the passing notice while walking out that it says to include the positions held within the past 60 months. Could this be an issue? Could I call someone to explain or should I just include everything when sending the form/resume and hope for the best? Getting an active CISSP's endorsement should not be a problem, unless this part is. The work I did a while back was admin & jr. admin work, it's just many years ago and I'm not even sure who's still there if they were to call to check. One of the jobs I had back then I even quit. Even with the 9 months they give you for endorsement, I'll still be at only 4 years at best if they don't allow that and I do NOT wish to just lose the past few months it took to get this. How should I handle this?? icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    seigexseigex Member Posts: 105
    From the endorsement form:

Applicants must have a minimum of five years of direct full time security professional work experience in two or more of the eight domains of the (ISC)² CISSP CBK. If you hold a certification on the (ISC)² Approved List, you may receive a one year waiver out of the five year experience requirement. Alternatively, a four year degree leading to a Baccalaureate or regional equivalent can substitute for one year towards the five year requirement. No more than 1 year of experience may be waived.

The 60 months you are referring to is the total amount of time (minus a year if you have a degree) required in total experience to be endorsed. If you don't have the requisite experience, then you have 72 months to achieve it before you will lose associate status and be required to test again.
  • Options
    mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    Excellent question. Haven't seen this one posted before. They do require you to list everything for the last 60 months but I'm not sure if they count experience behond that or if there is a cutoff date.
    If you have verifiable experience prior to the previous 60 months, I would assume that would count.
    The resume for the endorsement should include employers address, phone # and contact numbers for your supervisor or management that can verify your experience.
    Even if you can't verify all of your experience, you still qualify for the Associate of CISSP which is probably all that matters to employers.
    I wouldn't fudge on the resume because ISC might audit.

You should receive and email from ISC with all of the details to proceed.

Conratulations on passing too.
    That test is a beast.
  • Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    Just ask ISC2, they have always been very forthcoming with answers to questions around the endorsement process when I have queried stuff
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Options
    seigex wrote: »
    From the endorsement form:

Applicants must have a minimum of five years of direct full time security professional work experience in two or more of the eight domains of the (ISC)² CISSP CBK. If you hold a certification on the (ISC)² Approved List, you may receive a one year waiver out of the five year experience requirement. Alternatively, a four year degree leading to a Baccalaureate or regional equivalent can substitute for one year towards the five year requirement. No more than 1 year of experience may be waived.

The 60 months you are referring to is the total amount of time (minus a year if you have a degree) required in total experience to be endorsed. If you don't have the requisite experience, then you have 72 months to achieve it before you will lose associate status and be required to test again.
    I read this many times also but the first time I saw "please include ... each position held in the past 60 months" was reading the congratulatory form you get walking out the door after passing the exam. Combined, even if everything in the past few years isn't counted for whatever reason, I have more than the five years, especially tacking on the degree and other certs icon_study.gif . (except the word "past" wasn't bolded like this on the sheet, however)
  • Options
    seigexseigex Member Posts: 105
    If their standard was only requirements within the last 60 months, then anybody without a degree that had even a single month off or had a different job over that time wouldn't be able to achieve a CISSP. You have nothing to worry about. Also, congrats!
  • Options
    seigex wrote: »
    If their standard was only requirements within the last 60 months, then anybody without a degree that had even a single month off or had a different job over that time wouldn't be able to achieve a CISSP. You have nothing to worry about. Also, congrats!

Good point. Thanks!