Options

Associate of (ISC)² question

bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
So, I passed the CISSP last month but I still need a year before I can be officially endorsed. I know that the "Associate" level fills the void in the DOD 8570.1 chart for IAT/IAM Level 3 compliancy. Now, as a DOD contractor, I assume that companies will hire me as if I have the full certification? My (ISC)² certificate on their website says "Associate of (ISC)² working toward CISSP." I put that title on my resume, verbatim.

As a person with 3 years of IT Security experience, is it reasonable for DOD employers to recognize my "Associate" cert on par (or similarly) with the full CISSP cert?
"If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon

Comments

• Options
    mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    I would leave off the "working toward" part. That might lead some HR people to perceive it as you are still studying for the test.
    Definitley say Associate CISSP though. You can explain the details in your cover letter.
    I've read some resumes where people will insinuate they are CISSP simply because they say they are preparing to take the test.

just wondering but does ISC award you with an Associate CISSP paper cert?
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You'll be fine on the contractor side. It's a check the block type thing for the majority of positions and shouldn't even be required. As long as the company can check the block on you, you're good to go.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    On your resume under it you can put the IAT/IAM level 3 compliant, that's what the contract companies care about.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's my understanding that Associate of (ISC)² is all that is authorized prior to endorsement. I was going to add the "working toward" part, but it appears that this may not be approved.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    mjsinhsv wrote: »
    I would leave off the "working toward" part. That might lead some HR people to perceive it as you are still studying for the test.
    Definitley say Associate CISSP though. You can explain the details in your cover letter.
    I've read some resumes where people will insinuate they are CISSP simply because they say they are preparing to take the test.

just wondering but does ISC award you with an Associate CISSP paper cert?

Yes, they do.

It reads "Certification Status." Also, "Designation Awarded." I was even able to register it on the 8570.1 website.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have worked with many Associates of ISC2 that were hired just as if they had the certification status. They eventually got enough time in to make the change. The DoD sees both as the same in the eyes of 8570 (you could even pass CASP to be IAT/IAM I-III).
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna