Options

Transitioning from Network Operations to Engineering

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys and gals, just trying to get some opinions / best direction advise here.

So my current work background has been with network operations for the past 3 years+. I have been able to make successful strides and have moved up two support levels within our operational team to our level 2 support. Lucky for me the 2nd level support is outside the NOC, however doesn't feel all that different from the NOC icon_rolleyes.gif

In order for me to really move beyond my current role in my same company I would be taking on a level 3 position within the organization but that team is very small and has an opening on average maybe once every 2 years or longer; also the competition would be huge and I know I am not the first in line. I don't feel it would be best to sit and waste time for years longer just to make a marginal improvment with my career.

Anywho my dream is to move into Engineering / Implementing (consulting in later years). What I deal with day-to-day is just outage after outage caused either by a design flaw, a carrier issue, hardware failure, or some type of application issue where network needs to be proved out.

Now I know the operational side of things is a great place to gain experience and I have learned a TON from these past 3 years but I am ready to take on more. I feel I am beginning to plateau with what I am able to learn from the operational side of things and honestly getting bored.

However, the problem with the engineering roles are generally what seems just a hair out of my reach as far as experience goes. I also understand the engineering role is a very granular term and could mean designing the network from the ground up or simply being in charge of maintaining a specific element of the network only.

Anywho, any of you out there that made this change? I feel maybe I am being impatient but I know a lot of people my age (30) that are into much deeper and complex roles, and I feel their early exposure to these complex roles is what helped them get there.
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    3 years of network ops experience and some as a level 2 position.
    CCNA, and working on CCNP.

I would say you are SO CLOSE to getting over that bump. A lot of jobs look for 5 years of networking experience, etc...

My opinion is that you should look now. If you're willing, there's most likely a company willing to teach you. Even if you feel like you don't have all the experience the posting calls for, apply and give it a go. Tell them what you know, what you don't know and where you want to go. Be 100% honest and if they hire you on, they'll have already known where you need to grow and where you excel and accepted that.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    3 years of network ops experience and some as a level 2 position.
    CCNA, and working on CCNP.

I would say you are SO CLOSE to getting over that bump. A lot of jobs look for 5 years of networking experience, etc...

My opinion is that you should look now. If you're willing, there's most likely a company willing to teach you. Even if you feel like you don't have all the experience the posting calls for, apply and give it a go. Tell them what you know, what you don't know and where you want to go. Be 100% honest and if they hire you on, they'll have already known where you need to grow and where you excel and accepted that.

Kinda my thoughts too. I am in a good position to apply and interview at my own leasure and when the right thing comes along to jump on it if they are willing to have me.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi