Options

Blogging, on your resume?

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,
It seems like blogging goes hand-in-hand with learning and living an IT life. Some blogs are awesome, some are noble attempts. Two part question:

1)Should your blog be mentioned in a job interview?
2)Does it matter if a blog is kept under a screen name?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you have a decent blog thats been going for a little while you could probably make an argument to even put it on your resume (maybe, maybe not). Definitely shows dedication in the IT field imo. I would probably mention it towards the beginning of an interview when they ask you to do describe yourself and past experiences.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Agreed with NetworkNewb. Mention it in interview, put it on your linkedin, don't put it on your resume unless you're paid to write it, and maybe not even then.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Really depends on the blog. Some pretty big blogs out there that would be impressive. A lot of crappy blogs out there that would be pretty cheesy to mention.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    If your blog is big enough, you shouldn't have to mention it, they should already konw. :)
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    joelsfood wrote: »
    If your blog is big enough, you shouldn't have to mention it, they should already konw. :)

We all can't have one as famous as joelsccie.com... icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    hahaha, nooooo, was in no way referring to my little blog. 1500 whole hits is a drop in the bucket. Was thinking more of Brad Hedlund, Colin Lynch, etc.
  • Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    If it is relevant to a job I think you should, I got a new job yesterday which I think was because of mentioning a blog article.
    In my cover letter I mentioned that I had written a blog about storage using BSD, which got me an interview.

Had I not mentioned that it may of gone unnoticed that I was familiar with BSD and they may not of called me in for an interview.
    Just because you don't get 100,000 hits a month, doesn't mean it isn't worth bringing up.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think there is a misconception in this post. Do you mean putting your blog as an "achievement" or experience? Or as a personal site? If it's the latter I don't see why not, always that it looks professional (for instance, no ads)