Options

Worth going for Masters Degree??

marcj04marcj04 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

I just needed a little advice on whether or not it would be worth getting my Masters degree. I am currently finishing up my B.S in Information Systems from a pretty good State College and my ultimate goal is becoming a Network Engineer. I am already working towards my CCNA.

So far I love networking and I want to keep learning. I know I will keep going until the CCNP but after that I don't know if what would be more valuable. A master's degree or the CCIE? There have been two programs I have been looking at and that is a Master's in Telecommunication Engineering at University of Maryland or a Master's in Information Systems Engineering at Johns Hopkins. The former has much more focus in networking.

Ultimately, cost won't be an issue as I have an employer willing to pay for most of it. I just don't know if it will be worth the time and energy if it won't give me much of a pay increase. I've seen some people make well above six digits with certifications alone. Also I would like to point out that I don't really plan on pursuing a position in management. I love having more of a technical role.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think of people getting their Masters as people who want to be a CIO or an IT Director, and people who want a CCIE as being a top level engineer... Both make a lot of money so just depends on your end goal imo.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you want to stay in an engineering type role (technical side of things), the CCIE is going to help your career and prospects more than a masters degree. However, if you are wanting to transition into a management position at some future point in your career, I think that's when an MS or MBA with a concentration in IT will come into play and help further you career.

Although there are certainly MS degrees in infosec and other technical concentrations that may give you a leg up against the competition. I guess it just depends on where you want to focus your time and money. The good thing about the masters degree though is if you get it out of the way early, you keep it for the rest of your life and never have to worry about it again. And if your employer is willing to pay for it, well, that's almost reason enough to go for it.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you plan on teaching in an accredited institution of higher education in the future, most state boards of higher education require instructors to have a graduate degree. Just something to think about.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Why not do both? There's no need to immediately decide, but both have their advantages for different areas. If you have an employer now that's supportive of it, then I'd say pursue it. The biggest benefit to a good masters program is what you learn, not necessarily the degree itself. You can learn a lot and put it to use throughout your career in any MS program. When it comes to future employment lots of people have MS's, lots of people have certs, some people have both. Some companies look for one, some look for the other, some look for both.