IPv6 not being routed even with interface forwarding

JacobGatesJacobGates Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have spent a couple of days messing with this. I am following a Todd Lammle CCNA/CCENT book and i'm in a chapter teaching IPv6. I'm doing a lab that has static routes and default routes, with only 2 subnets. there are 5 routers with 2 in each subnet and the 5th as a border between the subnets. In the book Todd Lammle said to use this command for adding a static route:
ipv6 route 2001:db8:3c4d:1::/64 f0/0
for some reason no packets would cross the border router. But I could ping within their own subnet (meaning: a router in subnet "1" could ping another router in subnet "1" but not one in subnet "2"). I couldn't find anything wrong in my configuration so I tried to add another static route:
ipv6 route 2001:db8:3c4d:1::/64 2001:db8:3c4d:2::1
This time I instead put the address of the interface on the border router (like I would have done in IPv4). For some reason that made it work. Why though? I guess I could go the rest of my life just always using the interface address but I want to know why, both for ease and curiosity. Anyone know?

Edit: OH I need to add, even though using the interface address helped stop the ping test from failing, it was not at 100%. most of the time I get !.!.! with 60% success. A couple of times I have gotten something else but never 100%. That needs to be improved as well I think. And I am doing all this in GNS3

Comments