Options

Lockheed, bleh

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
I got a call last month about an upcoming tech support job for a lockheed martin near me. I figured it wouldn't be a bad thing to try...though there was no way I'd ever get it. I've been unemployed forever, and only volunteered at several places. I'm living in an RV that my family gave me since I'm so poor. :p

I went to the interview on a monday, and got completely lost trying to locate the campus. I ended up on the opposite side of the area, in this huge residential neighborhood. @_@
I found the place eventually, got through the security checkpoint(the guy didn't check my ID), and circled the place franticly trying to locate the building(there weren't any signs or numbers on the buildings).

(some things I noticed were that many of the entrances had rotating doors, to prevent piggybacking)

I finally found it after asking an employee, but I was late and had to apologise to the guy as I came in. The interview was long, lasting about 80 or 90 minutes and I had a couple really geeky guys(long hair, anime shirt, big glasses, etc) quiz me on various topics to see how technically knowledgeable I was.

When all was said and done, I left and didn't hear back from them all week. I didn't think I'd get the job until this evening, when I received the call telling me that I was going to be given my work hours. I also have to come in for two weeks of training. :)

The beers are on me...after I settle in. <_< >_>

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    congrats! way to go! :D
    witty comment
  • Options
    jasoninazjasoninaz Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dude I'm soooo happy for you. Looks like skid row is over for you.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Congrats! Lockheed is a good company to work for.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_thumright.gif

You'll still have time for #4 right? If you plan it correctly, the beers can also be for your CCNA celebration!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    JiggsawwJiggsaww Member Posts: 195
    dude tha great.....hope ya enjoy ya need place of employment
  • Options
    jacev1jacev1 Member Posts: 107
    Congrats!
    jasoninaz wrote:
    Dude I'm soooo happy for you. Looks like skid row is over for you.

Dude, why do ya gotta talk about this man's underwear? icon_redface.gif

It's just his lucky pair for his ccna exams! ... icon_twisted.gif
    Wars not make one great. Coffee makes one Great!
    - Master Yoda
  • Options
    GogousaGogousa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good for you, Opportunities sometimes are around the corner, the thing is to make the right turn.
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif Save a beer for me! drunken_smilie.gif
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    CONGRATZ dude - hope you don't party so much that you are late for your first day of work.... icon_wink.gif
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WOW....
    CONGRATULATION... :D

icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    You going to keep living in the RV? icon_wink.gif
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • Options
    jasoninazjasoninaz Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dude living in an RV can be sweet. But take this into consideration, I'm thinking its overlooking the ocean you drink myties all day read all the books that you REALLY want to read.

Man there are a ton of books I want to read. Perhaps when I die.
  • Options
    Thanks. I had to fill out a ton of paperwork yesterday, but I should be able to start once the background and drug checks are done. I've also got 2 weeks of "training" that I'm required to take. Anyone worked at Lockheed before and have an idea about how it works? I'm being told that it involves more than just their systems.

With cost of living, maybe I'll just move my RV into Lockheed's parking area? ;) They wouldn't notice it...

KG
  • Options
    JiggsawwJiggsaww Member Posts: 195
    KGhaleon wrote:
    With cost of living, maybe I'll just move my RV into Lockheed's parking area? ;) They wouldn't notice it...

KG

icon_lol.gif do that am sure they won't notice...........
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    Is it a sweet RV like Cousin Eddie's from Christmas Vacation? icon_santa.gif

Congrats again on the job. It sounds like you had to go through some tough times to get to this point. It'll be that much sweeter for you now. Lockheed will look VERY nice on a resume from here on out.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • Options
    Are you calling me Cousin Eddie? icon_wink.gif

It's funny that the lockheed manual is loaded with warnings about being bribed by rival companies.

KG
  • Options
    HotRodHamesHotRodHames Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the job man, but I was wondering are they sponsoring you for a security clearance and if so at what level?
  • Options
    It's not needed for my position, but I plan to ask for a basic security clearance if possible. If it doesn't work out, I still have one other source I can use to get it. ;)

KG
  • Options
    certificationjourney [bancertificationjourney [ban Inactive Imported Users Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats

I want to work for Lockheed Martin. I am just waiting to get enough certs and expeience before applying so I can start at a higher position. I currently work as a BEst Buy PC tech(geek squad).
  • Options
    Is that possible? Some of these places have a system in place where you normally have to start out low and work your way up to the position you want. I can't imagine someone like Lockheed or the Police hiring someone off the streets to handle their servers or important network devices.

KG
  • Options
    certificationjourney [bancertificationjourney [ban Inactive Imported Users Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    KGhaleon wrote:
    Is that possible? Some of these places have a system in place where you normally have to start out low and work your way up to the position you want. I can't imagine someone like Lockheed or the Police hiring someone off the streets to handle their servers or important network devices.

KG

Yes it is. That's why there is training, security clearance, Background check.
  • Options
    HotRodHamesHotRodHames Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What position did you get? I have seen a few positions with Lockheed that didn't require a security clearance, but it was only a few.
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Congrats....I am glad everything worked out for you.

Kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    Thanks, I've been going through their training course. They actually pay you to sit in a cold room and listen to lectures as they explain the systems, policies, etc. o_O

It's lame that we have to support so many programs that we've never used before though. They support programs that were either specially coded for Lockheeds use or stuff that you normally don't see outside a military environment. We have to use documentation in an attempt to understand and solve the problems we get called about.

KG
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Currently, I am working for LMIT @ JSC, its a pretty demanding corp in that they adhere to strict standards on their Nasa contract. I am one of their exchange admin working on their migration project "COM." You will definately have to learn a lot and dont be like other techs that simply passes the trouble ticket on to systems admin.

Good luck...
    What next?
  • Options
    bah, I got terminated today because they say the managers weren't pleased by my test score from the training classes they put us through. In order to pass, you need over a 70. I got a 75. Apparently that still wasn't enough for them, so hello once again unemployment! icon_cry.gif

I learned a lot from the training, and probably learned more than anyone else in that room. I practicly had to send my notes to people just to help them out. icon_rolleyes.gif
    The test was just poorly written, so I'm in a crappy mood.

Lockheed supports thousands of applications that most people have never even heard of before, mostly because they have their own set of programmers releasing lockheed-proprietary crap on a daily basis. The amount of knowledge they gave us in those two weeks was insane...o_O
    Unless your strong of heart, I would never recommend a Lockheed helpdesk job.

KG
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sorry to hear the bad news. Keep your head up. Some jobs are just simply tough.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    icon_eek.gif Sorry! But it was probably cutting into your CCNA study time anyways. icon_neutral.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats

I want to work for Lockheed Martin. I am just waiting to get enough certs and expeience before applying so I can start at a higher position. I currently work as a BEst Buy PC tech(geek squad).

Good luck!

All the apps that I've seen here require a good amount of pro experience in administration, not just repairing the PC's. A lot of them also require security clearance and/or a degree.

Keep up the hard work!
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber