Options

Are sec+ and SSCP interchangeable?

jrel209jrel209 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was curious because I'm currently studying for sec+ in labsims via WGU courses. And the objectives seem to be the same. While studying for the sec+ is it possible to study for the SSCP and should allow me to get both certs. Is yes, is their any adv in having both?
WGU B.S. IT - Security:: In Progress (17u): C170, C175, C246, C697
Required (38u): C698, C247, C484, C483, C176 , C179, C299, C435, C436
Completed(12u): ORA1, CUV1, CRV1, CTV1

Transferred (68u):
CLC1, TCP1, C393, C394, BVC1, IWT1, C278, INC1, WFV1, DJV1, TBP1, AGC1, EUC1, C132, EUP1, C277, IWC1, CJC1, DHV1, C164, C173

Comments

• Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I passed Security+ last August and then started on SSCP. I'm happy to say I passed the SSCP exam last Thursday 4/9. Although there is a lot of overlap, SSCP is tougher than Security+. When I looked back at my Security+ study materials and think about the test questions, I realized just how much easier Security+ was. I think it's safe to say that if you can pass SSCP, you'll pass Security+ -- but not the other way around. Also, I don't see any advantage to having them both. I came into the security field as a technical writer with only a little IT background and none in security and eventually moved into program management, incident management, etc., so I felt that it would be better for me to start at the bottom (Security+) and gradually work my way up. I'm about to start working toward CISSP. After that, CEH. I see Security+ and SSCP as stepping stones. You may decide to pursue the SSCP first. But if you do that, there's really no need to pursue Security+ after that.
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    If you have the experience requirment I would take the Sec+ and jump immediately to studying for the CISSP. The Sec + will give you the fundamental knowledge you need in order to understand a lot of the stuff you will study for the CISSP.
  • Options
    sponge2sponge2 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am assuming that you plan to take the SSCP as you do not have the necessary experience required for the CISSP exam.
    The SSCP is quite broad in coverage when compared to the Security+. However, the good news is that you can use the time and knowledge you gathered as a stepping stone for preparing for the CISSP exam.
    I wish you the best for your CISSP exam.
  • Options
    jrel209jrel209 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sponge2 wrote: »
    I am assuming that you plan to take the SSCP as you do not have the necessary experience required for the CISSP exam.
    The SSCP is quite broad in coverage when compared to the Security+. However, the good news is that you can use the time and knowledge you gathered as a stepping stone for preparing for the CISSP exam.
    I wish you the best for your CISSP exam.

Not quite, studying for sec+, and it looked like the material is similar to SSCP. So I was just wondering if I could just do both lol. In regards to the CISSP I don't qualify because I lack the exp, according to the web. But iy looked there was an alt route

https://www.isc2.org/associates/default.aspx

but even then, I need the SSCP. So I might buy a book for the SSCP and just get both, In case I take the non-exp route and go for the Associate of (ISC)² before CISSP. Hopefully, I just a job doing InfoSec and wont have to take long route. An get real world exp I need most.
    WGU B.S. IT - Security:: In Progress (17u): C170, C175, C246, C697
    Required (38u): C698, C247, C484, C483, C176 , C179, C299, C435, C436
    Completed(12u): ORA1, CUV1, CRV1, CTV1

Transferred (68u):
    CLC1, TCP1, C393, C394, BVC1, IWT1, C278, INC1, WFV1, DJV1, TBP1, AGC1, EUC1, C132, EUP1, C277, IWC1, CJC1, DHV1, C164, C173