Options

Tech support position for VoIP phone system

powdered toast manpowdered toast man Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have my A+ certification and recently got a job offer for providing tier 1 tech support for a VoIP telephony company. It would be a product very similar to ShoreTel.

I was just wondering what anyones opinion is for this being a good entry level IT job or not and if it would benefit me. My concerns are it's not a typical help desk position and I would only be learning their product...

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depends on the type of support. If you will be handling voicemail password resets and hard-soft phones issues i really don't think you will learn much and will be very boring after a few weeks.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Its where I started, I had a HUGE interest in VoIP. If you do as well it kinda doesnt' matter the platform in the beginning as you will need to learn the SIP protocol and the underlying networking under it. Once you have that knocked out you can kinda pick up any platform.

Also things to keep in mind is do they provide all levels of support, if you have to escalate to somewhere off site then I would prob past. If the 3rd tier level support is with your company then it can be something to consider. Also for future growth is the engineering team with your company as well?
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    I don't know what your alternatives are but voip is a world unto it's self. I am an old tip and ring guy who adapted to the new ways of making a phone call. I will tell you this much it is not boring. It's fast paced, you will get exposure to networking, maybe a little server stuff, ticket systems, and customer service experience. The biggest hill to climb is the end user voice applications. Class of service, Trunk groups, DID's, key sytems vs pbx. overhead paging, auto attendant etc..

This job will not hurt you but it you have little interest in learning voice applications you will not like it.
  • Options
    itsgonnahappenitsgonnahappen Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Usually these positions are heavily specialized. If you need a job, this is your entry point into VOIP and possibly a peak into networking; however, I wouldn't expect to leave with a diversified skill set.
  • Options
    redworldredworld Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As someone who does hiring for a managed VoIP services company, our junior levels are expected to get their hands dirty and learn networking. We also encourage and reimburse CCNA training and certifications. Sure, you'd be doing a lot of help desk profile creation and password resets, but knowing how to troubleshoot networking issues and working your way up to doing router/switch configuration is a good path to go down.

You'll learn VoIP and networking. Systems, not really unless you're applying that new knowledge to your own studies.
  • Options
    powdered toast manpowdered toast man Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »

Also things to keep in mind is do they provide all levels of support, if you have to escalate to somewhere off site then I would prob past. If the 3rd tier level support is with your company then it can be something to consider. Also for future growth is the engineering team with your company as well?

They do have NOC tech. advancement positions available I know that much.

Russell77

My other alternative is possibly doing Tier 1 tech support for a web hosting company as I actually just landed an interview for in the next couple days.

I feel I would be learning a more wide range of skills providing support for the web hosting company because VOIP seems kind of a tight niche... Company wise the pros and cons is the web hosting company is a lot closer to where I live (and no traffic) and they pay a little more... On the other hand the VOIP company has much better reviews for the work environment provided and their benefits are better (from what I know so far)

I ultimately don't know where I want to go in the IT world as one of these jobs would be my first one in the industry... I'm just trying to weigh out my options for what could benefit me more in the skills I would be learning etc..
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IMO It sounds like a great opportunity to get some experience, even if it's product specific. A lot of people would kill to have a position that is niche. I was on the help desk for ~ 2 years a while back and I couldn't wait to get off and deep dive. We are obviously two different people but I would consider it for sure.