Options

Passed Service Operation

GrindzGrindz Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Results are in and I am glad to announce that I passed the S.O exam with 80% icon_biggrin.gif

Now that I am "battle tested" for one exam at least, I feel comfortable enough to offer a tactic I picked up during a Webinar that proved to be great value to me in trying to decipher those scenarios and question.

We all know the official set up which is read the Scenario and attempt the question? For the exam, what I did was read the question FIRST then read the corresponding scenario, and then read the question again before attempting to answer. This helped put the scenario is context.

As for the answers, I would mark a tick next to the statement that I think is right and put a cross next to those that I thought were incorrect. After finishing off all the statements, two things usually stood out. One or two of the answer had a few pluses but one almost always had 3 to 4 false statements so I just picked the best answer out of the two with the most ticks next to them.

When I first took the sample papers I first I did the scenario--> question tactic using the same elimination tactic with the pluses/crosses. Closer to the exam, I used the question>scenario>question method which I think simplified things slightly imho.
I tried both ways using the 2 sample papers (the papers are tough enough that days apart you will forget most of your answers).

Hopefully (at least I hope) this will offer some encouragement those of us in the forum studying for this module!

Comments

• Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats, what's next for you ?
  • Options
    Thanks Zorodzai,

I am going to tackle ST next, I am trying to get to Expert if possible
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Gratz man! Yeah I passes SO and ST. ST was much harder for me, just thought I would throw that out there. However, at the time I was more of a operations guy and not a PM. Total opposite now.
  • Options
    Thanks N2IT

What in particular did you find hard about ST if you don't mind elaborating? I am also on the Operations side currently that's why I started off with SO but any tips you picked up doing ST will be much appreciated as I've just kicked off studying for it
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    For what it's worth guys, I can now put AMBCS next to my name due to taking the test with BCS. I get 1 year's subscription for free
  • Options
    Enigma1Enigma1 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well done Grindz
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just overall the concepts and how the examples synch up, especially around scale of the transition. If the transition is small you do A if it's larger then you would do B. I just didn't have enough real world experience to really handle the questions well. I passed with a 26, it was a very small margin. That's when I quit with the ITIL exams :)

No regrets but the cost is a lot and there are very few positions here in the states that warrant having the ITIL MALC. That's not to discourage you I actually found reading Service Strategy to be very helpful when I was working as an service delivery lead for a large MSP here in the states. Some of the real world that I was experiencing started to make more sense.

Personally for me the Service Strategy and Design are the most interesting, although I haven't read the full design book, just haven't had the time and my focus has gone in a different direction.
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratulations Grindz icon_smile.gif