Options

How are you guys putting certs on a resume?

I was wondering if I should stick my A+ cert under the "Education" section of my resume? If I had 3 or 4 certs would I create a new "Certification" section? How are you guys handling this?
"Me fail English? That's unpossible."

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I put it under Education, but if I would have more formal education, I'd probably add a separate section "Certifications".
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    I have an associates degree in CS Tech, but I also have a bachelors in a non-related field. I guess my point is that I don't want to have a section that just says:

CERTIFICATIONS: A+

Would you list the A+ cert before or after the college "stuff"? Should I keep the heading of just Education? Or am I just paranoid about how the certification section would look with just one cert listed? I guess i could throw CompTIA in front of A+ to help fill it out.
  • Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    I have listed my formal education under "education". Below I have a section called "certifications". In that section, I list my certs. like this:

Jan. 06 SANS GIAC Certified Firewall Analyst (GCFW)
    Okt. 05 Microsoft.......

I list them with the most recent at the top, one line each.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    under education listing after formal schooling/training
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I list mine this way...

CERTIFICATIONS

CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network+
    MCDST - Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician
    MCSA 2000 - Microsoft Certified System Administrator
    Pursuing Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer.

There was a time when I just had A+...
    I would just put whatever you have under "Certifications"
    That way HR or Recruiter can clearly see what cert's you have...

But that's just me........

D-boy!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    I have a separate CERTIFICATIONS section. The last four sections in my resume are:

CERTIFICATIONS
    ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
    EDUCATION
    PUBLICATIONS

I'm not sure why the CERTIFICATIONS section comes before the others, but once upon a time some headhunter wanted that way and I just kept it so.
  • Options
    Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Should you also include your CompTIA career ID number so they can verify your certs?
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Should you also include your CompTIA career ID number so they can verify your certs?

No icon_wink.gif , that is the reason they have the Certificate Publish link, when you go into your CompTIA Candidate Certification account.

https://certify.comptia.org/durango/do/login?ownername=comptia&channel=comptia&basechannel=comptia

d-boy
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    Thanks for the input. I ended up starting the Certification section as hopefully the A+ won't be so lonely in a few short weeks. I had to send off my first resume today with the A+ update and was wondering what would look best.
  • Options
    One thing about resumes that you don't want to overlook.... A resume needs to have something that catches the eye of the hiring person(s). The thing I do with mine to make them stand out is I put the logo on the upper corner of it. Some people do not even read all the way through your resume and may never see a section titled "certifications" Yes, it is a good thing to include it, but also put something that catches their eye on it too. Give them a reason to read far enough into your resume to find the listed certs. Seeing a CCNA logo on a resume definately gets their attention, kind of like a blinking light or something. Depending on your job, you could probably try it with an A+ logo as well. Good luck!