Options

Resume help wanted

Bradd78Bradd78 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Would someone be willing to help me with my resume? I've been at a helpdesk for 10 years in a number of different roles, wanting to get into an Engineer/System Admin role. Anyone willing to help me tweak it? I attached a copy for review.
Thanks in advance
Bradd Edmondson
Microsoft Certified Professional
Certified Computer Support Technician CompTIA A+ 2006, MCDST & MCSA 2003, Network + ,MOUS Master, Security +

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First things first, NEVER publish your personal information to the public Internet in this manner. I recommend you take your resume down immediately and scrub your PII, then re-upload.

As far as the resume goes, I highly recommend you get this resume down to 2 pages maximum. No hiring manager wants to read through more than that, especially if they have 50+ resumes to review.

Your professional summary should be written in paragraph form. Lose the bullets. Not only will it read better, it will reduce the length of your resume as well. Win-win.

Regarding the Areas of Expertise section, instead of listing a bunch of software, technologies, and protocols, and I would rather you expand upon this information and explain HOW you are proficient in these skills, especially in a business/enterprise environment. Ideally I would recommend that you incorporate this info into your professional experience, and then drop the skills section altogether. This will also help to reduce the overall length of this resume.

The certifications section should be listed immediately after the education section.

Within the professional experience section, each job description should begin with a high-level overview of your daily duties and responsibilities, and then use bullets to highlight special achievements, projects, promotions, etc. Don't rely solely on bullets like this. I will link you to a resume that's a great example on how to format and write this properly. Also, the Allstate position has way too many bullets to read through. I wouldn't recommend using any more than 6 or 7 bullets per job position. Convert some of this to a high-level overview and then club or edit the rest.

Your job descriptions and bullets should be written in past tense.

Each bullet should begin with an action verb (in the past tense). Most of your bullets do begin with action verbs, but some don't. This is a glaring inconsistency and makes for a quirky read. This is easily fixable though.

I wouldn't recommend using center justification for your certs and education. We naturally read from left to right, and this makes for a difficult and awkward read. Left-justify this content like the rest of the resume.

This is an excellent resume guide with example resumes, a huge list of action verbs, sample summaries, etc:

http://www.filedropper.com/resumeguide

This thread contains a fantastic example of a properly formatted and written resume (ptilsen's resume):

Resume time

Someone recently uploaded this document regarding the "STAR Method" of writing resume content. You may want to take a look at it and see if it helps you.

http://www.filedropper.com/starmethod
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)