Ping to router doesn't work

MerlinusMerlinus Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
CCNA QUESTION
Hello everybody. I am preparing myself as a network professional and maybe one day I'll sit a CISCO CCNA or a CCNP. I've got this configuration. The switch works fine but the router doesn't answer to my ping tests. I am using CISCO packet tracer and here's my configuration:

I have three networks 192.168.1.0/24; 172.16.1.0/24 and finally 10.1.1.0/32. I also have two VLANs: VLAN 10; and VLAN 20.The network 192.168.1.0 belongs to VLAN 10 and the network 172.16.1.0 belongs to VLAN 20. The ip addresses on each switch connected interfaces are as follow.

Interface

ip address and VLAN (if any)

Fast Ethernet 0/1

192.168.1.1/24 VLAN 10

Fast Ethernet 0/2

172.16.1.1/24 VLAN 20

Gigabit Ethernet 0/1

10.1.1.1/32 No VLAN

Here is the configuration of my SW1

Switch SW1 CONFIGURATION FIRST PART

Switch SW1 CONFIGURATION SECOND PART AND FINAL

Now my router configuration

Router 1 CONFIGURATION

NOW MY QUESTION I PING FROM 192.168.1.2 to 172.16.1.2 and I have an answer, but I ping 10.1.1.2, the interface on the router and I have no answer.

HERE IS MY QUESTION, WHY I DON'T HAVE ANY ANSWER FROM ROUTER 1?
I have logged in the Switch 1 and I have an answer from the router, but I can't have an answer from the router if I ping from any of my computers. WHY?

I CAN'T UPLOAD MORE IMAGES. I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM ASKING.
THANKS IN ADVACED

MERLINUS

Comments

• siggnationsiggnation Member Posts: 182
    Merlin--

I would check your default-gateway config in your L3 switch. The computers need the gateway IP address, which should be on the same subnet as the router to reach it.
    Currently Reading:

CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam v. 5.1
    CCIE Routing and Switching 5.0 OCG, Vol. I
    Cisco Lan Switching
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You don't have a default route to the router or routing protocol running on the L3 switch.

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • nikalisnikalis Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    why does the router need access to vlan 20? the interface will have an ip address and be routed to, no layer 2 interaction?
    To Script or not to Script, that is the question.

MSCA [ ] 70-410 [ ] 70-411 [ ] 70-412
    CCNA [X] 100-101 [ ] 200-101
    I will set it up with the OP exact config and report back.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
    You are pinging the routers network ID of 10.1.1.2 from the 192.168.1.2 node. The router does not know of the 192 or 172 network. He has a routing protocol setup on the Router "OSPF 1" but not on the L3 switch. Change your ping source interface and you will see where it fails.

SW1#pingProtocol [ip]:
    Target IP address: 10.1.1.2
    Repeat count [5]: 10
    Datagram size [100]: 10
    % A decimal number between 36 and 18024.
    Datagram size [100]:
    Timeout in seconds [2]:
    Extended commands [n]: t
    % Please answer 'yes' or 'no'.
    Extended commands [n]: y
    Source address or interface: 192.168.1.1
    Type of service [0]:
    Set DF bit in IP header? [no]:
    Validate reply data? [no]:
    Data pattern [0xABCD]:
    Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[none]:
    Sweep range of sizes [n]:
    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 10, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.1.1.2, timeout is 2 seconds:
    Packet sent with a source address of 192.168.1.1
    Success rate is 0 percent (0/10)

SW1#ping Protocol [ip]:
    Target IP address: 10.1.1.2
    Repeat count [5]:
    Datagram size [100]:
    Timeout in seconds [2]:
    Extended commands [n]: y
    Source address or interface: 10.1.1.1
    Type of service [0]:
    Set DF bit in IP header? [no]:
    Validate reply data? [no]:
    Data pattern [0xABCD]:
    Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[none]:
    Sweep range of sizes [n]:
    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.1.1.2, timeout is 2 seconds:
    Packet sent with a source address of 10.1.1.1
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 0/0/0 ms
    nikalis wrote: »
    why does the router need access to vlan 20? the interface will have an ip address and be routed to, no layer 2 interaction?

To answer your question, Since the "ip routing" command turns the L3 switch into a router you will need static routes or a routing protocol to communicate. The other solution is to use a trunk port and subinterfaces on the router.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One of the best parts about using packet tracer when you are first learning is simulation mode.
    If you watch the ping until it fails it will tell you what the problem was.
  • robby005robby005 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yes, simulation mode is quite handy to use when finding the connectivity problem
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can you post a show ip route screenshot to view routing table on your Router? I agree with Hondabuff. The router does not know the other 2 networks. You have OSPF setup on the router but the switch also needs to communicate somehow. Can you issue a show ip ospf neighbor? If you had a neighbor relationship, your output would have said something like changed from 2way to full or something like that showing a relationship. OSPF is a 2 way street like algebra as with any routing protocol what you do on one side you have to do to the other. Does that help? If you routing table does not show an O in there, you don't have OSPF setup properly.