CCNA-Security vs. CCNP R/S

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
I work next to a guy with a CCNP R/S (and experience), and I told him that I'm working on my CCNA-Security. He said that he wished he had done that. His NP, he said, hadn't helped him at all find a job (at least here in Central Florida). He firmly believes that showing some kind of security knowledge/certification would go further in getting someone a better job than what we have now. I'm not sure if he's right, but it's encouraging. I know that he's been looking for something better (something like a network engineer position - not a technical-level) and has been unsuccessful for months now. My personal intention is to move straight into CCNP-Security.

Comments

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I would assume the CCNP would be more marketable. I have the CCNA and the CCNA Security. The CCNA is very marketable, but I dont think anyone has ever mentioned being impressed that I also had the CCNA Security
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the CCNP but have to circle back and pick up the CCNA Security only because you have to have it to take any CCNP Security. I have read the book and watched the CBT nuggets and it was well worth it. Learning how to configure Tacacs and the nuts and bolts of VPN's was really rewarding for me and was able to apply my new skills on the job. CCP Gui is just plain dumb but I understand why you should know some of the tools.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The CCNP is more valuable than the CCNA Security. The CompTIA Security+ has a better name recognition than the CCNA Security and the DOD actively looks for the Security+.
    Your CCNP guy did he take the 3 test or 4 test version of the CCNP exam? And how is his resume? Maybe the other candidates are a better match then he was for the position.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have debated the same thing whether to pursue CCNA Security or CCNP Route/Switch. I decided to pursue CCNP Route/Switch. Main reason being is because I can use my Boson Netsim software for the CCNP that I got for christmas. The CCNP is more desired in my opinion then CCNA Security but I also do see the benefits of having the CCNA Security. However, some topics like AAA, Radius/Tacaus+ is covered in CCNP and there is quite a bit of overlap between CCNP and CCNA Secuirty. It really is up to you. You can also take 1 of the CCNP exams and if you pass renew your CCENT,CCNA and CCNA Security. Just food for thought.
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go for the CCNP if you can if you can work on Cisco equipment at your job, it's pretty useless without experience though.

I am finishing off my CCNP as I feel I've more then enough experience through work and in my Home lab on the switching aspect, the routing aspect not so much.

I do not expect a CCNP level job when I get mines but I do expect to be able to walk into a CCNA level networking position along side my experience as a IT Technican who has had the freedom to lead and work on multiple projects seeing as I worked in Education for a while.
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was faced with the same dilemma and decided to go with CCNP R&S first for a few reasons. I really want to get my troubleshooting down and the CCNP of course has a whole course on the subject. I'm also guessing the CCNP R&S has a lot more "hands on" labs than CCNA Security, though the official lab books don't come out until the first week of June
  • tecnodog7tecnodog7 Member Posts: 129
    I struggled with that decision for quiet some time but like everyone else decided to go for the CCNP R/S.
    Reasons being, i really enjoyed CCNA and wanted to get an even more in dept understanding of how things work. The way i figured was there is already an overlap and MOST of the topics covered in CCNA sec is already in CCNP and if you get a deeper understanding of how things work, you'll be able to implement security better.
    I think once i achieve my CCNP R/S, CCNA Security should be a walk in the park but i could be mistaken!
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cat5 wrote: »
    His NP, he said, hadn't helped him at all find a job (at least here in Central Florida). He firmly believes that showing some kind of security knowledge/certification would go further in getting someone a better job than what we have now.

A CCNP (or any certification for that matter) only helps if you can get past the technical interview. My position was "CCNP Preferred", but I guess I must've performed well in the technical interview because I got the job with only a CCNA. I was studying ROUTE at the time and did later on earn my CCNP. Security knowledge is helpful, but a CCNP goes a long ways if you can back it up.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I went with CCNA Security also for the reason of it being a pre-req to the CCNP Sec track, but it's been difficult to take too seriously because I work with ASA's all day, and I am not sure (and Chris Bryant does not disclose) the differences in functionality between a routers VPN / NAT / ACL operation vs an ASA.

Also CCNP's often are push into a higher pay bracket in my experience, for example at my MSP certifications are treated like gold (almost over experience), because they can show black and white numbers to clients that they have X amount of CCNP's on staff to take care of all their networking needs.

I test the Friday of Memorial Day weekend then it is finally on to CCNP R/S after some much needed break time, I just can't hardly focus on studying lately so think a couple months break over the summer is called for, maybe learn some random good to knows like wireshark and my ASA for Dummies book.
  • BulletzBulletz Member Posts: 159
    Hi guys

Am bit stuck between the two either to do ccnp r&s or ccnp security, I have been looking on both course modules but i don't know which one to go for after i did my ccna,I like security but the question is will i be able to get a better job with ccnp security cert or ccnp cert can do better?
    Show me the way to go 127.0.0.1