Options

Another Resume Critique

alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have seen some very good advice given on this forum and would appreciate some critique on my resume too.

Just for an overview, I manage user accounts and security for AD (On-boarding and terms)
I manage our Linux Email server (which I despise)
I am the Lead VMWare Admin and I manage all aspects of our VMware farm, which consists of 12 UCS blades and some additional hosts deployed at 11 branches.
I manage all VMware licensing and support
I manage all Windows server licensing (server, SQL, and RDP)
I setup and manage the UCS infrastructure
in total we have about 350 servers and about 100 fall under my care and feeding
I don't manage the Citrix farm but do deploy applications and maintain some Citrix servers.
I did web development and managed some Cpanel servers for awhile prior to working for my current employer

I plan on getting my CCNA in June/July and then going for my VCP around August of this year

Thanks for any constructive criticism in advance.
Regards,

resume_04-27-2015_critique.doc
“I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The formatting isn't bad. A little inconsistent, however. For example, the experience section has lines going across the entire page, whereas the other sections do not. Consider maintaining a consistent format throughout the entire resume. Check out the popular template linked below.

You may want to include a resume title that consists of your current job title (or the title of your desired position). For example, "System Engineer."

The Objective section should be replaced with a competent professional summary. Objective sections are redundant and serve little purpose. I will link you to a document regarding how to write a professional summary. Google is also a good resource on this.

The content of the qualifications section should be integrated into the professional summary and/or experience section. Then this section should be deleted.

Regarding the Technical Skills section, instead of listing a bunch of software, technologies, and protocols, and I would rather you expand upon this information and explain HOW you are proficient in these skills, especially in a business/enterprise environment. Ideally I would recommend that you incorporate this info into your professional experience, and then drop the skills section altogether. This will also help to reduce the overall length of this resume.

Certifications should be listed underneath the education section.

Within the professional experience section, each job description should begin with a high-level overview of your daily duties and responsibilities, and then use bullets to highlight special achievements, projects, promotions, etc. Don't rely solely on bullets like this. I will link you to a resume that's a great example on how to format and write this properly. Also, I would recommend expanding on your experience as much as possible.

You did a good job of beginning each bullet with an action verb. I would recommend varying your vocabulary a bit more, and write as academically as possible. For example, you have two consecutive bullets that begin with "work." Try to find a different word to convey the same meaning. Also, make sure that everything is consistently written in the past tense. I found several mistakes in this area. I would also recommend writing your current position in past tense for consistency, but that's my personal preference.

The References section should be completely removed. This information is implied and completely unnecessary. If the hiring manager want references, they will ask for them.

This is an excellent resume guide with example resumes, a huge list of action verbs, sample summaries, etc:

http://www.filedropper.com/resumeguide

This thread contains a fantastic example of a properly formatted and written resume (ptilsen's resume):

Resume time

Someone recently uploaded this document regarding the "STAR Method" of writing resume content. You may want to take a look at it and see if it helps you.

http://www.filedropper.com/starmethod
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you for taking the time to give feedback. I must have looked my resume over 500 times. Your information was helpful. I am trying to figure out how to integrate the qualifications section into the professional summary without making it hard to read but here is the summary section I am starting with.

Dedicated and passionate technologist with over ten years of experience in Information Technology. Constantly strive to improve efficiency, productivity, and organizational consistency. Excellent problem solving and decision-making skills. Persistent, reliable, and hard-working with a proven ability to learn new concepts and ideas within an industry that is constantly changing.

I choose to use "technologist" so I do not pigeon hole myself into any specific type of role. I am looking to be flexible and potentially move into the security realm. Is it better to use my current title in the summary or would this be okay for the most part?

Regards,
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    "Technologist" sounds quirky. I would recommend using "IT professional" instead.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)