Am I wrong here?

JohnjonesJohnjones Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
Started a position almost 3 months ago. Work on a team composed of about 6 people. Two people per team. My counterpart has been here for the last couple years and received numerous complaints because his communication skills SUCK. A real rude smart ass.

The problem I have been experiencing is he is not willing to share most of the projects he has been working to finish over the last year. When our manager assigns me something to work on, he takes offense to it I believe. He'll ignore me and give me a cold shoulder. Management is aware and believes he's threatened by me. It's annoying when he walks around everyday saying "I was going to do it, but I didn't have enough time. I'm always being pulled away from whatever I'm working on". Got that...so pass some work off dude!

I literally dread going to work and may start looking elsewhere, but I'm sure they'll wonder what went wrong in only 3 months. I don't have anything to do for 8 hours. The work environment isn't the greatest anyway. I've asked if he needs assistance and it's "nope".

Don't know how to handle this.

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why don't you ask management for something to do? You say you have nothing to do for 8 hours. There is almost always something to do in IT. Why worry about this guy at all? He doesn't seem to worry about you.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Any time I had an issue with someone I had a former boss that would ALWAYS tell me "it is AT LEAST half your fault, AT LEAST" even if we both knew it wasn't even close.

His point was to be the bigger man and take ownership of the situation even if it wasn't of your own making.

Seems to me he doesn't get the big picture that his plate is too full and yours is typically which company resources are being used effectively. Let him know you are there work with him and he give you the stuff he doesn't want so management doesn't pull the things off his plate that he does want to work on.

If that wasn't work bring your boss in and have the exact same conversation over and over again with him until he gets the point or leaves the company.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Two things that have always worked for me with troublesome colleagues is encourage them when they do something positive and find their sense of humor. Confronting him on it will probably make it worse. Going to management, unless it's affecting the project, will for sure make the situation worse and will likely be ignored, or you'll be told to work it out amongst each other.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)