Options

VoIP

hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
Understand this is the main CCNA forum, but this question is directed at other network engineers. I started my first NE position and I'm seeing all this VoIP config naturally, but am not responsible for it. My question is how difficult is VoIP and in the future would it be beneficial to learn it (okay, it's always beneficial to learn things), or is that usually up to someone else?

Comments

• Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I work in Telecommunications and depending on how your organization is setup VOIP may have a dedicated Team to handle VOIP issues but Network Engineers build it configure it and deploy it. I work in Tier 1 so I have limited VoIP access. The most I can do is view configs and look at interface data and reboot devices. Deeper Voice issues are handled by Tier 2. They can edit "SOME" configs, edit some things on the Meta Switch and work with field techs om most aspects of VOIP issues. Tier 3 and Noc work on the upstream issues. My company is a learn on the job type place but before I worked here I was already working towards my CCNA and had set long range goals on other certifications. CCNA voice being one of them. If you really want to get a CCNA voice I suggest you read this post. It has made me change some of my plans.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-voice/108326-ccna-voice-retiring-aug-14-a.html .

I am seriously considering The Sip school. SIP Training and SSCA Certification - One or two of my former co-workers have invested in themselfs and it paid off in a major way for both of them after attending the SIP school.

Bottom line here is if you really want to have job security and be the go to guy in your organization then learning voice is not going to hurt you but help you. As far how hard it is to learn voice ? What you put into learning Voice is what your going to get out of it.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino