Options

Career Change?

Resource78Resource78 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

First some background. I have recently decided that I would like to pursue a career in IT. I have always had a love for computers, and though for a long time I was going to pursue a BS in Comp Eng. However I let my other passion of music change my mind on that one last minute. I have recently graduated with a degree in Trumpet Performance, and am working at CDW at the Licensing Help Desk (I aid Account Managers with Microsoft Volume Licensing, so not much of an IT resume booster). This is a contracted position in the software solutions department, so I'm sales support. My contract is up in September, so ideally that's when I am hoping to get into the IT department. I am willing to look elsewhere, but this is a nice company to work for in my opinion.

Due to my crazy music work load in college (graduated with about 160 credit hours, mostly due to my want to learn more instruments and be in multiple ensembles) I have not taken any computer classes or programming classes since high school. I am currently studying to get my A+ certification, it seemed like a decent place to start from what I have read on the forum. I was just wondering if anyone had any advise on breaking into the field with my very obvious no experience. I've been checking out these forums for awhile now, and finally decided to make an account and post something. Any and all advise will be welcome.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A+ would be a logical place to start, so yeah. I would likewise talk to a supervisor or co-worker at one of the other departments at CDW that you'd want to work as well. Could be anything from minor repair to helpdesk, whatever. CDW is HUGE! I have no idea what building your in but know the company very well having been a service provider starting in the old Lake-Cook days. Now, CDW seems to be everywhere in Vernon Hills and surrounding area. But thats another story unto itself.

It would look quite favorably to be able to move up the ranks within the company as you obtain other credentials as well.

Full disclosure, I am at another huge company across the way in Mundelein. icon_cool.gif

-b/eads
  • Options
    Resource78Resource78 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I appreciate the response! Yeah CDW is massive, I am at a location in Mettawa that's about 5 minutes away from the Vernon Hills HQ. I do have a connection inside the company, but he is in the marketing department. I will have to see if he has any contacts that I can get ahold of to make some sort of introduction. And since I work in the company already, even though I am a contractor I can use their internal system to apply for jobs rather than external, that will definitely be nice. I have seen that they use recruiters too for their internal, so one of them may be able to point me in the right direction as well! Just got study and start networking within the company. We'll see how this goes, got about 4 months left on my current contract.
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Get your A+. Make your way into Support/Helpdesk gigs. Learn, learn, learn then branch into a specialization.
  • Options
    OakparktechOakparktech Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can you send your resume to HR at CDW, maybe they have a help-desk position in the future. Google all the IT companies in the suburbs and schools and send your resume,they can have it on file and maybe a tech job opens up. There are many IT companies in Schaumburg. working for an IT consulting job is a great way to learn different technologies and environments. You already have some experience working with Microsoft Licensing. Get A+ and Network + certification. Microsoft Virtual Academy you can learn a variety but can start with learning to deploy windows 7/8 etc. Learn to deploy windows https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40796.
    All this stuff you learn, you can add to your resume and talk about it in the interview.
    Create a Linkedin account , good place to network and post resume....