Options

what do I really need to know about CPUs?

RBoone80RBoone80 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I just passed my Security+ and decided to tackle the A+. With the Security+ they really try to through you off your game with different types of scenario questions, and I'm wondering if CompTia does the same concerning the CPU questions on the A+. My question is do I really need to memorize all the specs of the different CPUS ( cores, speed, features, etc..), or just what manufacturer makes which socket ?

Comments

• Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mostly sockets, and which CPUs are compatible with the socket types, so say there is a 2011 socket, what processor is compatible. You also need to know what is considered a home theatre PC type of build, a works station, and a desktop... and what CPUs are used in them, but not specifics, more like how many cores/what speed. Also you need to know the levels of cache and what they're used for. I think that pretty much covers CPUs, but you should reference an actual study guide to ensure I've covered them all. Best of luck.
  • Options
    RBoone80RBoone80 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply H3||scream but you confused me a little. So your saying I do need to know specs of individual processors? For instance, one of the study guides I have has 4 different sockets for Intel CPUs with a combined 30 different processors amongst them. So I need to memorize all them plus their cores,speed,cache, etc. It just seems a bit excessive
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say memorize what you're able too, the exam draws from all areas, and you won't be railroaded if you don't memorize all the specs of each individual processor line etc. Know which processors are compatible with which sockets, and then perhaps how many cores most general offerings have, i3, i5, i7, etc. Also know the levels of cache in general and how they work, but not how much cache each processor has, and if it's shared among cores or not, etc. I believe that is excessive. I'd also suggest using the Exam Cram book, as it's light weight and focuses on the core areas of the exam you need to know and understand.