Options

CISSP material for SSCP

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Would it be wise to use the ISC2 official book to study for the SSCP? I was trying to map the domains together but I got a little lost. I figure that the SSCP material would be in the CISSP but just the domains aren't close together for easy reading.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've heard that the CISSP questions are not as technical and more from a managerial perspective than the SSCP. I had luck studying for the SSCP with SSCP materials. Darril Gibson book, Pluralsight/Trainsignal CBTs, study notes from cccure.org, Prof. Messer Sec+ on YouTube, and what ever free resources I could find (flash cards). What you propose is possible, not sure I would consider it wise given the availability of resources dedicated to SSCP.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was going off of the whole new tests for the SSCP and CISSP. I think the CISSP book has technical information in it so I thought I would be covered.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is SSCP material. I'd start with Gibson book and CBT nuggets.
    Not sure if new material out due to change.
    I've heard some on here say study security+ and then look at doing SSCP.
    So, think you could use Gibson security+ book too.
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I passed Security+ last August using Gibson's book and website along with Professor Messer and a few other resources. I passed SSCP last month (still waiting for endorsement). I used Gibson's SSCP book, Free Practice Exams, and some other SSCP-specific sources. But then I also studied the corresponding sections of the last Shon Harris CISSP book and Michael Gregg's CASP guide. I topped it off with the corresponding CASP and CISSP modules from Cybrary.it. The best strategy for me was to study above what was required for the test, and that made all the difference.

I downloaded the official SSCP CIB from ISC2 and laid out the bullet points from each domain in a spreadsheet and then listed all of the sources I could find. Then I worked on one module at a time, making sure that I was confident with each bullet point in a module before moving on to the next. I'm doing the same thing for CISSP. To me, it's less intimidating if I approach exam prep like I would a project. Creating a study plan and then breaking it down into smaller, manageable chunks (milestones) lets me set and meet study goals so I can be ready for the test.