Options

Self-study materials for CCNA

La ChupacabraLa Chupacabra Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everybody,

I’m planning to pass CCNA exam this year and instead of paying £1000 for a 4 week course I would like to try to prepare for it on my own. Can anyone recommend me best study materials for this: books, eBooks, video tutorials etc. I would like to use both type of study materials: videos and for reading as I heard that it gives best results.

I'm thinking about getting this set, since I heard some very good feedback about the author and it includes both book and video materials. Has anyone used this set or read the book?

Also what type of hardware would I need for this kind of self-studying at home? I already have couple of computers.
How long it may take to prepare for exam like CCNA?

Comments

• Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd recommend watching CBT Nuggets CCNA, or INE's CCNA training both run about the same as a monthly fee (49.99 for INE, 99 for CBT)

In terms of hardware you should look at GNS3 to setup a virtual lab, this will allow you to add 5-10 or more switches/routers etc and practice. The only trouble you may have is getting the Cisco images but you can google those and find the versions that will help you out the most. The nice thing is that GNS3 is free!
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I second CBT Nuggets. The CCNA videos for them rock. For most of my self studies thus far I have used packet tracer. Started using GNS3, but now I have my own home lab to practice with. If you can afford it I would say go with a home lab. I have zero regrets about getting mine other than I didn't do it soon. Todd Lammle also has a pretty good book for the CCNA.
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    CBT Nuggets. Todd Lammle books, various praxtice tests online that you can find for free

then pass
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been using CBT nuggets with the official Cisco prep book. It's been a great combo. I second what Mooseboost says, if you can afford it, get a home lab. I got 2 1841 routers, a 2950 and a 2960 switch on ebay for under 150$. You can use packet tracer and GNS3 for larger topologies.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Why make things complicated? Just get the two part official certification guide.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I did CCNA R&S with just the Odom books and a practice rack (old gear we had in server room at work, though GNS3 works just as well and takes up less room), and I did CCNA DC with CBT Nuggets, UCSPE and PEC labs. It's definitely possible to get your CCNA without spending $1k on a class, IF you're self-motivated and willing to put in the effort.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Odom book
    CBT Nuggets (i converted the vids to mp3 and listened to them while driving too)
    Packet Tracer

You do not need a home lab for CCNA. If you really want one there are plenty of threads about it in the Cisco section
  • Options
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    I second CBT Nuggets. The CCNA videos for them rock. For most of my self studies thus far I have used packet tracer. Started using GNS3, but now I have my own home lab to practice with. If you can afford it I would say go with a home lab. I have zero regrets about getting mine other than I didn't do it soon. Todd Lammle also has a pretty good book for the CCNA.
    Is it worth paying $50 per month for it (if it is I'm happy to do it)? Is CBT so much better than INE that is 2 times more expensive? Are there any free tutorials worth recommending?
  • Options
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    Why make things complicated? Just get the two part official certification guide.

Which guide is it? Any chance you could send me a link for it? Is it better than Todd Lammle's "CCNA Routing and Switching Deluxe Study Guide: Exams 100-101, 200-101, and 200-120"?
    Also, has anyone tried LiveLessons - Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Complete Video Course?
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Which guide is it? Any chance you could send me a link for it? Is it better than Todd Lammle's "CCNA Routing and Switching Deluxe Study Guide: Exams 100-101, 200-101, and 200-120"?
    Also, has anyone tried LiveLessons - Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Complete Video Course?

http://www.amazon.com/Routing-Switching-200-120-Official-Library/dp/1587143879/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Can also be bought separately:

CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide: 9781587143854: Computer Science Books @ Amazon.com
    CCNA Routing and Switching ICND2 200-101 Official Cert Guide: 9781587143731: Computer Science Books @ Amazon.com

I doubt anyone can really give you an informed opinion on if Lammle's book is better as that would involve actually reading both and comparing the material, etc. I'm sure that people have passed using both authors. I personally used Lammle's book for the previous version of CCNA and (barely) passed, but I didn't really study as much as I should have. If could do it all over again I'd probably use Odom's two books and take things slow and steady.

I'd say that Odom's library for $42 and INE's CCNA bundle for $99 is a pretty good deal and should cover everything.
  • Options
    Thanks you all for advice. I decided to go for a CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide eBook.
    Just a quick question; I've noticed that book is including DVD with plenty of stuff, where Kindle Edition doesn't have it. Is there a way to download it from somewhere, like a Cisco website?