Options

Software Engineer or Network engineer ? what should I choose as a begining of my ..?

fouzimedfounifouzimedfouni Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
hello everybody,
I was wondering what should I start with from these options that I found posted on the closest community college to my house and they are as written below :

-Information Security
Information Security (AAS) | Glendale Community College
-Computer and Networking Technology
Computer & Networking Technology (AAS) | Glendale Community College
- Microsoft networking technology
Microsoft Networking Technology (AAS) | Glendale Community College
-Information System
Computer Information Systems (AAS) | Glendale Community College
-Networking Technology Cisco
Networking Technology Cisco (AAS) | Glendale Community College

I was wondering if these associate degrees are transferable to BS degrees ?
whats your recommendations and tips? what do you think is the best and can get job easy with it ?
can I transfer to other branches for my BS like having AAS degree Microsoft networking technology, and continue in programming for my BS degree ?
what do you think is best ? programming or Networking ?
do you work in office for both of them or just programming ?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was wondering if these associate degrees are transferable to BS degrees ? --> Depends of the policies of the school you attend and how well the courses match up with the program.

whats your recommendations and tips? what do you think is the best and can get job easy with it ? --> what do you like? what interests you? Going to a job everyday that you hate really sucks.

can I transfer to other branches for my BS like having AAS degree Microsoft networking technology, and continue in programming for my BS degree ? --> Probably, but some of you classes will end up as electives and there may not be room for all of the to transfer, so you end up taking more classes.

what do you think is best ? programming or Networking ? --> that do you like best?

do you work in office for both of them or just programming ? --> depends on the job. I know some programmers that work from home. I know some networking people that work in the office, from home, or are on the road a lot.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    I was wondering if these associate degrees are transferable to BS degrees ? --> Depends of the policies of the school you attend and how well the courses match up with the program.

whats your recommendations and tips? what do you think is the best and can get job easy with it ? --> what do you like? what interests you? Going to a job everyday that you hate really sucks.

can I transfer to other branches for my BS like having AAS degree Microsoft networking technology, and continue in programming for my BS degree ? --> Probably, but some of you classes will end up as electives and there may not be room for all of the to transfer, so you end up taking more classes.

what do you think is best ? programming or Networking ? --> that do you like best?

do you work in office for both of them or just programming ? --> depends on the job. I know some programmers that work from home. I know some networking people that work in the office, from home, or are on the road a lot.

thanks a lot for your response :)
    I like everything about Computers:), thats why I am so confused and wondering which way to go :)
    plus how does the Elective courses works and why wouldnt they use them to transfer my degree to another one ?
    plus from the Five options in top , from your experience what would you recommend me to go for, if you were in my shoes? which one would you choose ?
  • Options
    plus how does the Elective courses works and why wouldnt they use them to transfer my degree to another one ? --> say your associates is in Microsoft Systems and your Bachelors is in programming. Some of the microsoft class might not meet requirements in the bachelors program and would fill slots for open electives. Now say you have 30 credits of microsoft classes but are only allowed 12 credits of open electives. That leaves you with 18 microsoft credits that will not fit anywhere in the bachelors and you have to take 18 more credits that do.

plus from the Five options in top , from your experience what would you recommend me to go for, if you were in my shoes? which one would you choose ? --> Back in the day when I was working on my AS, I would have taken the microsoft program because it was what I was working on at the time. If I was doing it now, I would take the Info Sec one, because my interests have changed. Pick the two or three that interest you the most and see if they have courses that over lap. Take those courses and see what aspects you like the best. For example of both require a general networking class, take it. If you really like it, go Cisco. If you hate it, go Microsoft, programming, or security. I knew from my first programming class, that I didn't want to be a programmer or developer. Whatever one you pick, make sure it has room for an internship.
    Andy

• Options
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    plus how does the Elective courses works and why wouldnt they use them to transfer my degree to another one ? --> say your associates is in Microsoft Systems and your Bachelors is in programming. Some of the microsoft class might not meet requirements in the bachelors program and would fill slots for open electives. Now say you have 30 credits of microsoft classes but are only allowed 12 credits of open electives. That leaves you with 18 microsoft credits that will not fit anywhere in the bachelors and you have to take 18 more credits that do.

plus from the Five options in top , from your experience what would you recommend me to go for, if you were in my shoes? which one would you choose ? --> Back in the day when I was working on my AS, I would have taken the microsoft program because it was what I was working on at the time. If I was doing it now, I would take the Info Sec one, because my interests have changed. Pick the two or three that interest you the most and see if they have courses that over lap. Take those courses and see what aspects you like the best. For example of both require a general networking class, take it. If you really like it, go Cisco. If you hate it, go Microsoft, programming, or security. I knew from my first programming class, that I didn't want to be a programmer or developer. Whatever one you pick, make sure it has room for an internship.
    brilliant Tips, for real !!!
    are you sure you werent hacking into my mind this morning lol !!!!!!
    thats exactly what I thought !!!!! I thought about takingone or two of the courses of the INFO SECURITY OR SYSTEM and see if I will like it and I was about making sure that the course will be common with other branches so I can just take the rest and persue a different branch ..... really good advice and way of thinking ! :) ..... by the way I am learning C language and Have some idea about C++, learned before HTML, some PHP, some Delphi, and JAVA ........but never tried Networking even I liked it but I couldn't practice it, I was thinking about going ahead and read some books so I can take Camptia A+ as a begining before even starting college , and I tried the exams were in this Forum and they were pretty easy, Just some Abreviations didnt know them, .......what do you think ?
  • Options
    Use you cert prep to help prepare for classes. use your classes to help prepare for certs. Graduate with both. I did it for a number of classes / certs including the MCSE, Network+, and Linux+.

See if your school will give you credits for certs. My school evaluated a number of cert exams and let them transfer in like classes.
    Andy

• Options
    that's really good advice and new info for me :) thank you so much, a last question, may be little personal :) sorry for that
    does your certificate got you a good job, like better than people with BS degrees or about the same level ? plus is there any internships for Networking and security ?
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    If you can cut it forget degrees learn how to code and your golden. Otherwise certs and experience to go down the network path.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    philz1982 wrote: »
    If you can cut it forget degrees learn how to code and your golden. Otherwise certs and experience to go down the network path.

I don't exactly disagree with you. As I have shared in the past, I don't hold a degree. But given the expected job market, getting a degree is still a wise investment. Personally, I wish that I had my degree. While the lack of a degree doesn't diminish my own career growth. I grew up in a very different time which I don't think applies anymore. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    The best degree to get that is not on your list it would be Computer Science. Other good degrees would be computer information systems, management information system, computer networking Cisco, applied computer science, software engineering, information security assurance. As far as your community college you need to talk to your advisor and see what is transferrable to a 4 year university. Additionally, verify whatever they say is true by looking at that 4yr degree plan at the university they talk about.

Now getting back to your list: CIS, the associate in Cisco, and the information security degree have the most bang for your $. Cisco has for many years had high ROI for its CCNA, CCNP, CCIE certs. For Cisco you honestly do not need a degree, however in this day and age having at least a bachelors degree helps in most professional businesses. I believe WGU allows Cisco certs to transfer for some 4-year degrees which would be to your advantage. CIS and Computer Science allow tremendous flexibility to choose your path and supplement your credentials with that degree. I see a lot of people do CIS/MIS/BIS + CCNA or MCP or MCSA or MCSE or A/N/S/Linux+. Having at least one of those 2 will usually land a good job starting out.
  • Options
    The best degree to get that is not on your list it would be Computer Science. Other good degrees would be computer information systems, management information system, computer networking Cisco, applied computer science, software engineering, information security assurance. As far as your community college you need to talk to your advisor and see what is transferrable to a 4 year university. Additionally, verify whatever they say is true by looking at that 4yr degree plan at the university they talk about.

Now getting back to your list: CIS, the associate in Cisco, and the information security degree have the most bang for your $. Cisco has for many years had high ROI for its CCNA, CCNP, CCIE certs. For Cisco you honestly do not need a degree, however in this day and age having at least a bachelors degree helps in most professional businesses. I believe WGU allows Cisco certs to transfer for some 4-year degrees which would be to your advantage. CIS and Computer Science allow tremendous flexibility to choose your path and supplement your credentials with that degree. I see a lot of people do CIS/MIS/BIS + CCNA or MCP or MCSA or MCSE or A/N/S/Linux+. Having at least one of those 2 will usually land a good job starting out.

+1

totally agree with you as I agreed with the gentlemen here in this topic, I checked out INTEL like 15 days ago and they were asking for COMPUTER SCIENCE/INFORMATION SYSTEM (BS) as the munimum requirement for their apprenticeships and jobs beside Software engineer :) the problem is I dont find the Computer science in the community college next to my house , or may be it's just under a different title, is it known by any other name besides CS ?