Options

how are your value in your career measured?

darkeriesdarkeries Banned Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Guys

I'm writing this from my PDA so forgive me.

I wanna know how are you measured in your career?

Is it through your title? Years of progressive experience, your company size or is it money.

For an example guy 1 works as a infrastructure consultant and gets 65k and does complex project work and is exiting.

Guy 2 works as a support engineer and does tier 1/2/3 work and gets close to 80k.

Which one is better off ? And who would you be?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Different strokes for different folks, some ppl are all about the money, some ppl just want a comfy job. I'm assuming I'm like most people and look a for a good balance of both. Good work environment with decent pay.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is the second guy at Amazon by any chance?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I use two metrics, am I happy with my role and am I compensated fairly?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's so many variables that come in to play here, like age, cost of living, goals, lifestyle, etc. Since I'm early in my career I'd take Job A because I like the challenge and it's closer to my career goal, 65k is comfortable living here, it's barely getting by in other places. If I was close to retirement, I'd take job B for the additional money because of a sooner retirement.

I'd say your better off career wise with Job A but can afford a more expensive living with Job B.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Am I:
    1. better skilled than 12 months ago?
    2. better paid than 12 months ago?
    3. working with people who make me a better tech?

There's probably a few more I could add to that.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't think either one is better off. Money plays a very big role in our lives but you forgot to mention that both 1 and 2 were born independently wealthy and so income was a non factor for either of them. Since one loves to consult and the other loves to be a one man show they are both equally happy on my theoretical work happiness scale.

In real life usually money is the big target but happiness is the ultimate goal. Everyone balances it differently.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I determine my value by:
    1. Decent pay compared to the past
    2. What are my benefits?
    3. What level of work is required of me (aka am I doing 40 hr weeks or 55hr weeks)

Mostly good days, decent money, and help me further myself and you have a winner.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    LeBroke wrote: »
    Is the second guy at Amazon by any chance?

Amazon is the best company in the WORLD!! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    1. Pay
    2. Roles/Responsibilities
    3. Title
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dave330i wrote: »
    1. Pay
    2. Roles/Responsibilities
    3. Title

4. Have I made a difference to the people of my company? Have I made society a bit safer? More secure?

-b/eads
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    1. Do i enjoy what i do?
    2. Am i further along in my career than i was a year ago?
    3. If i need to find a new job, do i have alot of options?
    4. Is my work/life balance decent?
    5. Can i take care of myself and my family?

Thats how i guage, but everyone is different. You can be making 50k and have a great career and love what you do, or you could be making 150k and absolutely hate what you do. If your happy, then dont worry about how you stack up to others.