Being Consistent

Hello IT pros..

Im having trouble being consistent with my studying. Im on point for 2 days then ill stop.. i hate that! any suggestions/advise? Im studying for the MCSA exam 70-410

Comments

  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's tough to be consistent with studying if you have a busy life (I've been struggling lately with a newborn). But the key is just be consistent and force yourself to do it. Plan ahead a time, and make yourself stick to it! Its soooo easy to come up with reasons not to study. Easy to say I'm too tired today and will do it tomorrow. Or find something that needs to be done and put that priority over your studying. I know I've used the excuse of "this needs cleaning, I should do that before I study" or "I should probably workout and I'll study later". Then the study time never comes. The trick is just do it. Alot easier said then done. When your time you have chosen to study comes, go into a room and turn off anything that can distract you. And don't leave that room until your hour, 2 hours, or however much time you choose to study is over.

    If it was easy everyone would be successful.

    Best of luck!
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can you set aside time every day as study time? It helps if it's the same time every day.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    It's tough to be consistent with studying if you have a busy life (I've been struggling lately with a newborn). But the key is just be consistent and force yourself to do it. Plan ahead a time, and make yourself stick to it! Its soooo easy to come up with reasons not to study. Easy to say I'm too tired today and will do it tomorrow. Or find something that needs to be done and put that priority over your studying. I know I've used the excuse of "this needs cleaning, I should do that before I study" or "I should probably workout and I'll study later". Then the study time never comes. The trick is just do it. Alot easier said then done. When your time you have chosen to study comes, go into a room and turn off anything that can distract you. And don't leave that room until your hour, 2 hours, or however much time you choose to study is over.

    If it was easy everyone would be successful.

    Best of luck!

    I agree with u netnewb, but i dont have kids and i do have time :/ its just a bunch of excuses im not even gona lie . I work and go to the gym.. i have a habit of doing 2-3 things at once like if im studying i have FB open and another tab that has nothing to with the test. so i do like 30min and then checkout instagram or something and then get back to it.
  • ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    Can you set aside time every day as study time? It helps if it's the same time every day.

    i definitely can set aside a time everyday
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ed_003 wrote: »
    I agree with u netnewb, but i dont have kids and i do have time :/ its just a bunch of excuses im not even gona lie . I work and go to the gym.. i have a habit of doing 2-3 things at once like if im studying i have FB open and another tab that has nothing to with the test. so i do like 30min and then checkout instagram or something and then get back to it.
    That's fine, I found myself doing that sometimes in my studies but it was the best way for me to get the work done ie. take a mini break every 30-45mins.
  • ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    pjd007 wrote: »
    That's fine, I found myself doing that sometimes in my studies but it was the best way for me to get the work done ie. take a mini break every 30-45mins.

    Exactly thats one thing i like to do.. after a while with so much information trying to go into my brain i need a break
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You know what I feel your pain. I failed twice already on this dumb exam. Now when it comes down to studying i let it slide and forget about it. I make excuses on why i shouldn't study or I get home tired. I know for me i live about 1 hr away from work. Right after work i go to crossfit then go home. Traffic is way better. but by the time i get home i'm burned out. Family duties, and other stuff. By the time i hit the books it's close to 9:30 or 10. I stay up until about 11 or even 12 then off to bed.

    But in the morning i'm like ugh!!!!!!!! why did i stay up so late... Trust me it's hard to be consistent on your studyies and stuff. I told myself last night that I would study every night until next month. Maybe take 1 day off or something. But at least study 1 hr or so.

    There is a lot of information to remember and do. it's just hard trust me.

    I just need to pass this exam next month!!!!!!!!!!
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

    My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    Louie1277 wrote: »
    You know what I feel your pain. I failed twice already on this dumb exam. Now when it comes down to studying i let it slide and forget about it. I make excuses on why i shouldn't study or I get home tired. I know for me i live about 1 hr away from work. Right after work i go to crossfit then go home. Traffic is way better. but by the time i get home i'm burned out. Family duties, and other stuff. By the time i hit the books it's close to 9:30 or 10. I stay up until about 11 or even 12 then off to bed.

    But in the morning i'm like ugh!!!!!!!! why did i stay up so late... Trust me it's hard to be consistent on your studyies and stuff. I told myself last night that I would study every night until next month. Maybe take 1 day off or something. But at least study 1 hr or so.

    There is a lot of information to remember and do. it's just hard trust me.

    I just need to pass this exam next month!!!!!!!!!!

    I try and do some studying at work most of the time cuz i know once i get home im gona procrastinate like crazy. i even bought a desk just for that and just lied to myself. i saw a motivational video on YouTube saying that to be successful one has to want it as bad as u wana breath.. i love it and it did motivate me and i did study lol so i downloaded it and when im defeating myself im going to listen to it
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well good for you. last night i wasted about 1 1/2 playing around reading other stuff on the web. Once I started to study i notice i was getting sleepy. hate when that happens but i woke up and read for about 35 mins. Right now i'm about to study and see how long i could go since I'm at work.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

    My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ed_003 wrote: »
    I try and do some studying at work most of the time cuz i know once i get home im gona procrastinate like crazy. i even bought a desk just for that and just lied to myself. i saw a motivational video on YouTube saying that to be successful one has to want it as bad as u wana breath.. i love it and it did motivate me and i did study lol so i downloaded it and when im defeating myself im going to listen to it

    Lol, I've seen that one. Its a good little video and used to watch it over and over once in awhile. Its good video to watch in the morning when you wake up.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70r4thpsCO4
  • ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    Now for the past 2 days i have been with it consistently. Now i want to do some labs. anyone want to buddy to study, i saw another post with this idea and it could be a good way to keep each other on track!
  • dgibson89dgibson89 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A little bit late to this discussion - but this tends to work for me as i have a 9-5 job, house to maintain, partner to keep happy...!!

    If i am going through a book as well labbing, i always try and set aside an hour a weekday to study (whether it be half an hour in work/half an hour at home or an hour at home), and then 3 hours every Saturday and Sunday. The book i worked though for my 70-410 tended to be 25-30 pages per chapter so i tried to read a chapter a week and lab as i went along. My job involves a little bit of server work so some parts i get familiar with there, but it all depends on your circumstances as to what works for you.

    Sometimes if you know your not going to get alot done, its best to just put book down and enjoy some free time - as long as it doesn't become every day ;)

    Hope it helps in any way.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This one would inspire me to never give up
    Boxing - Never Feel Sorry for Me
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh3E2z-pXd8


    Then of course you gotta trash talk the 70-410

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsAC4lhbE0g
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

    --Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    dgibson89 wrote: »
    A little bit late to this discussion - but this tends to work for me as i have a 9-5 job, house to maintain, partner to keep happy...!!

    If i am going through a book as well labbing, i always try and set aside an hour a weekday to study (whether it be half an hour in work/half an hour at home or an hour at home), and then 3 hours every Saturday and Sunday. The book i worked though for my 70-410 tended to be 25-30 pages per chapter so i tried to read a chapter a week and lab as i went along. My job involves a little bit of server work so some parts i get familiar with there, but it all depends on your circumstances as to what works for you.

    Sometimes if you know your not going to get alot done, its best to just put book down and enjoy some free time - as long as it doesn't become every day ;)

    Hope it helps in any way.

    thats a very good plan to try.. last night i watched some cbt videos and during the day i did some reading on the exam Ref. i agree with you i have to put more time in on the weekends !
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Senior Member EuropeMember Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ed_003,
    I have a couple of tricks:
    - get a clock and see how much time you can stay without FB (or any social media) while you're on your desk. Note that down. If you can study during that amount of time without FB, increase by a couple of minutes next time.
    - studying for certs is like working out your muscles. Remember the first time you worked out and lifted heavy weights. Did you feel like quitting? It happens to me too, but I keep on pushing.

    A bigger motivator is, once you get a kid to raise, you'll have no choice other than to improve your financial situation, by studying.. :)
  • Rocket-sGRocket-sG Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What helps me is to drink Yerba Mate tea out of a gourd

    Get a kitchen timer and when you start to lose focus set the timer for 10 minutes and then go to the bathroom, check FB or whatever else and when the 10 minutes are up then its back to studying

    Personally I dont allow FaceBook at all during the study session because it is too distracting but as far as any other web surfing I recommend close the browser so that you must re launch the browser every time (This will make it more apparent that you are doing it). Close your webmail also because any notifications are going to pull you off task.

    Strategy 3 "My own prison" : You can also try tying your leg to a chair with a rope or throwing your car keys behind the stove (If your tempted to leave the house) which will make it alot harder to leave the house. You can turn off your cellphone or put it in airplane mode. If you live with a family you can lock yourself in a room and hang a sign that says "Dont bother me until 730pm" or whatever.

    Actually the family can be such a distraction that you may be better off to go to Starbucks, Panera or the local library to get away from them and get a good 2 hours of studying in. Make sure you get a pack of earplugs to bring with you.

    If the "prison" approach works for you it can be highly effective. You are both prisoner and jailer and "sentence" yourself to studying you can even slap yourself in the face if you get off-track or make yourself suck on a lemon as punishment. Or whip yourself behind the back with a belt.

    Its basically the old carrot or the stick, depending if you respond better to rewards or to punishment. If you respond to rewards then you can for example set a slice of pie and after reading 30 pages you allow yourself to eat the pie, or 15 minutes of web surfing or whatever reward.

    If you prefer "the stick" then its even easier, because you enforce corporal punishment on yourself everytime you get off track.

    Find what works best for you are a person, maybe a little bit of both, eh? The point is that this all comes down to self-discipline and once you can get yourself disciplined you will do so much better in life (not just in certs) but in all areas and will accomplish so much more and your self confidence will sky rocket as you become a new man.
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Rocket-sG wrote: »
    What helps me is to drink Yerba Mate tea out of a gourd

    Get a kitchen timer and when you start to lose focus set the timer for 10 minutes and then go to the bathroom, check FB or whatever else and when the 10 minutes are up then its back to studying

    Personally I dont allow FaceBook at all during the study session because it is too distracting but as far as any other web surfing I recommend close the browser so that you must re launch the browser every time (This will make it more apparent that you are doing it). Close your webmail also because any notifications are going to pull you off task.

    Strategy 3 "My own prison" : You can also try tying your leg to a chair with a rope or throwing your car keys behind the stove (If your tempted to leave the house) which will make it alot harder to leave the house. You can turn off your cellphone or put it in airplane mode. If you live with a family you can lock yourself in a room and hang a sign that says "Dont bother me until 730pm" or whatever.

    Actually the family can be such a distraction that you may be better off to go to Starbucks, Panera or the local library to get away from them and get a good 2 hours of studying in. Make sure you get a pack of earplugs to bring with you.

    If the "prison" approach works for you it can be highly effective. You are both prisoner and jailer and "sentence" yourself to studying you can even slap yourself in the face if you get off-track or make yourself suck on a lemon as punishment. Or whip yourself behind the back with a belt.

    Its basically the old carrot or the stick, depending if you respond better to rewards or to punishment. If you respond to rewards then you can for example set a slice of pie and after reading 30 pages you allow yourself to eat the pie, or 15 minutes of web surfing or whatever reward.

    If you prefer "the stick" then its even easier, because you enforce corporal punishment on yourself everytime you get off track.

    Find what works best for you are a person, maybe a little bit of both, eh? The point is that this all comes down to self-discipline and once you can get yourself disciplined you will do so much better in life (not just in certs) but in all areas and will accomplish so much more and your self confidence will sky rocket as you become a new man.



    You are right about the whole family thing. I wish it was easy to leave at night. I wait until everyone is getting ready for bed then study. But the problem I run into some times is i get tired myself and skip studying. This week i'm going to force myself to study every night at least 1 hr or even 1 1/2 then go to bed. Been trying to go to bed before midnight. But some times that doesn't happen and in the morning when i wake up i forgot what i read the night before. ugh not enough sleep i guess I get about 4 to 5 hours of sleep...

    that might not be helping me learning or remembering stuff.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

    My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    ccnpninja wrote: »
    ed_003,
    I have a couple of tricks:
    - get a clock and see how much time you can stay without FB (or any social media) while you're on your desk. Note that down. If you can study during that amount of time without FB, increase by a couple of minutes next time.
    - studying for certs is like working out your muscles. Remember the first time you worked out and lifted heavy weights. Did you feel like quitting? It happens to me too, but I keep on pushing.

    A bigger motivator is, once you get a kid to raise, you'll have no choice other than to improve your financial situation, by studying.. :)

    lol thats a good one ccnpninja, i do go to the gym and im consistent with that. so i have to apply that to studying. i went to barnes N nobles this weekend and i did study for a good without distraction even tho i had my phone! the nice low music helped also!
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ed_003 wrote: »
    lol thats a good one ccnpninja, i do go to the gym and im consistent with that. so i have to apply that to studying. i went to barnes N nobles this weekend and i did study for a good without distraction even tho i had my phone! the nice low music helped also!

    Yes that sounds good but with all the people walking around or and stuff some times you get busy watching other people... hahah I know for me I need a quiet place.

    I'm going to try that this weekend and see how that goes. Or even going to the pubic libary seeing if that helps.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

    My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Jency83Jency83 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hahaha. It seems I am not the only king of procrastination icon_smile.gif Yup, it is really hard to stay focused. I don't have kids so it is much easier though. So when I begin studying, I actually reserve a couple of hours a day to get ready for the exam asap (within 5-6 weeks). I have passed 3 exams so far, but haven't found the secret formula to study efficiently yet. I tried to listen various kinds of music, take regular breaks, visit library, etc. etc. Studying in our local library was actually quite good, as there was poor wifi coverage and I wasn't tempted to browse Facebook and other sites. There was also some kind of "studying spirit" around. On the other hand, I sometimes got stuck with labs and couldn't found a solution on the slow network. I also tried to record my time and was shocked - when I took a break, I could easily waste an hour reading news, chatting, etc. Sorry for not bringing any advice, but I fully understand your frustration.
  • AnthonyGAnthonyG Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Download your online study materials and disconnect your router from the internet. Man up and get to work. I am also a king at procrastination.
  • ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    Jency83 wrote: »
    Hahaha. It seems I am not the only king of procrastination icon_smile.gif Yup, it is really hard to stay focused. I don't have kids so it is much easier though. So when I begin studying, I actually reserve a couple of hours a day to get ready for the exam asap (within 5-6 weeks). I have passed 3 exams so far, but haven't found the secret formula to study efficiently yet. I tried to listen various kinds of music, take regular breaks, visit library, etc. etc. Studying in our local library was actually quite good, as there was poor wifi coverage and I wasn't tempted to browse Facebook and other sites. There was also some kind of "studying spirit" around. On the other hand, I sometimes got stuck with labs and couldn't found a solution on the slow network. I also tried to record my time and was shocked - when I took a break, I could easily waste an hour reading news, chatting, etc. Sorry for not bringing any advice, but I fully understand your frustration.

    Thx for posting, yes ive tried many things.. the Barnes and nobles was good i got a lot done! but definitely the extra internet browsing and distractions are a problem for me.. i get so mad at myself when i procrastinate
Sign In or Register to comment.