Options

Is programming for me?

backinthe80sbackinthe80s Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been looking into WGU's software development program because I have an interest in programming.
Lately, I have been concerned whether or not I would be a good fit for that industry. I have done some html and a little python practice at codeacademy. I enjoy it and have always wanted to give coding a shot. What I have found out though is that I'm not very good at problem solving. I am also not the most creative person. I don't have a problem at all with learning the languages. For me, that is actually enjoyable. I'm worried that I would be given a project to do and end up having no clue on where to begin. I've always been good with algebra and have struggled with geometry. I've never taken calculus. To keep this short, I can troubleshoot well and have difficulty creating anything. I can fix it but struggle to make something new. Which sector of IT would be best for someone like me?

Comments

• Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Before signing up a a degree based on programming try testing it out somewhere.
    Watch some basic C# or Java videos online and program a few things for a few hours.
    If you like it and see yourself wanting to learn more then proceed. If not then you try other things until something clicks
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you want to do programming and get a degree, don't go to WGU. If you are going to invest in a degree then go some place that offers a Computer Science degree, everything else is second rate.

Part of a good Computer Science program will start you off with small programs then work their way up in complexity while teaching you proper coding standards and architecture of systems. Join the local ACM or Linux club to get even more practice in.

Usually you'll work under a project manager or lead that will dole out small chunks of the overall project you are working on while you are a junior. The expectations usually won't be as astronomical as you are making them out to be for someone fresh out college with a degree.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    Thanks, I agree that a comp sci program would be better. I would love to do that but I work full time and have 2 kids. I would take around 7 to 8 years to complete going part time. I am looking into WGU because it would allow me to work, raise my kids and get a degree at the same time in a shorter amount of time.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have done programming as a hobby for a few years. Occasionally it really comes in handy to help me make a tool to make my job a bit easier. I honestly don't know if I could do it for a living though - that was my original route and I decided against it. I did some freelance and web work through HS. I suppose it would be different working for a company but I always felt that my abilities were under-appreciate and clients thought I just danced on a keyboard to make changes happen whenever they proposed a must have change near end game.
  • Options
    I love WGU and I am a current WGU student but its not the answer in this circumstance if you want to be a programmer.

Your degree and where you got it is far far far more important as a programmer than if you are doing infrastructure like systems or networking.

I completely understand the busy life style with other responsibilities but that is not excuse to not get a CS degree if you want to be a GOOD programmer. Plenty of other options exist and some of them are state schools online.

If you want to go to WGU just to go to WGU then I suggest you pick a different degree and area to go into.

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    I love WGU and I am a current WGU student but its not the answer in this circumstance if you want to be a programmer.

Your degree and where you got it is far far far more important as a programmer than if you are doing infrastructure like systems or networking.

I completely understand the busy life style with other responsibilities but that is not excuse to not get a CS degree if you want to be a GOOD programmer. Plenty of other options exist and some of them are state schools online.

If you want to go to WGU just to go to WGU then I suggest you pick a different degree and area to go into.

Which IT degree would you recommend and why? Thanks.
  • Options
    Their Network Admin and Security degrees are good if you want to work in those areas but that is a question of preference.

Signup for a trial at some of the CBT sites like pluralsight.com or cbtnuggets.com and watch some Cisco Microsoft or Linux videos to see which areas you have a passion for learning if you want to go down the infrastructure path.

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Just FYI, my alma mater University of Florida has an all online BS in Computer Science. Not sure if you're a FL resident or in one of the states that Florida has reciprocity for residency with, but here's the link (and it's only $129/credit hour for FL residents!) https://catalog.ufl.edu/ugrad/current/liberalarts/majors/computer-science-online.aspx
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    The WGU BSIT Software and BS Software Development programs are just fine for someone in your situation! I did the BSIT Software program, and a month after graduating, landed a job paying almost 70k with bonus. This with zero experience in the IT field.

Ignore the naysayers - you get out what you put in, and if you can pass technical muster and communicate well in an interview, no one will care that you don't have an actual computer science degree. Google or someone like that might care, but the big guys aren't the only ones who need coders.