Options

Resume critique / Job placement

kylepossiblekylepossible Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I would love some feedback regarding my resume and how to make it appear better. I was also wondering should I still be applying to "helpdesk" jobs or is there a better title/position I could search for. I feel I could be valuable in a networking or jr sysadmin role. I'm looking for a new career opportunity due to the low salary I'm currently making and even when promoted to a new position it cannot exceed 6% of what I currently make, I am also not learning as quickly as I want to in this environment.

TechExams.pdf

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your resume should begin with a professional summary. I will link you to a document regarding how to write a professional summary. Google is also a good resource on this.

Regarding the Technical Skills section, instead of listing a bunch of software, technologies, and protocols, and I would rather you expand upon this information and explain HOW you are proficient in these skills, especially in a business/enterprise environment. Ideally I would recommend that you incorporate this info into your professional experience, and then drop the skills section altogether.

Within the professional experience section, each job description should begin with a high-level overview of your daily duties and responsibilities, and then use bullets to highlight special achievements, projects, promotions, etc. Don't rely solely on bullets like this. I will link you to a resume that's a great example on how to format and write this properly. I would recommend expanding on your experience as much as possible, especially as it relates to the specific job that you are applying for.

Do you have any certifications? How about education beyond high school?

As far as the content of your resume goes, I'd really like to see you expand upon some of this information. Some of it is overly brief and doesn't give me a good impression of what you accomplished in your past job positions. You should focus on the details of your accomplishments (projects, promotions, etc) and not just your daily job duties.

http://www.filedropper.com/resumeguide

This thread contains a fantastic example of a properly formatted and written resume (ptilsen's resume):

Resume time

Someone recently uploaded this document regarding the "STAR Method" of writing resume content. You may want to take a look at it and see if it helps you.

http://www.filedropper.com/starmethod
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)