Options

big risk

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hi all. Just got an email about a unique opportunity, working with a component of cybercom. The problem? I'm in a contract to hire position with a major company. Should I really be considering jumping ship here?

Has anyone made a similar choice? No doubt I consider myself a loyal person, but... idk. Am i risking career suicide if i do this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have been in the same position. Questions you need to ask yourself.

1. Which role is in the best interest of your future.
    2. Can you see yourself going permanent with your present company (I was slated to go blue with Cisco and found out later I wasn't converting)
    3. At the end of the day you have to do what is best for you, do you want run of the mill? Or unique?
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Especially being on a contract now, people jump around all the time. Another reason people shouldn't jump too often is if it becomes a habit, it looks like you might not be a good investment. Of course if you move quick one time it's generally not considered a big deal. People always have lots of reasons for doing it, and saying "I was a contract employee and was offered a good full-time position with CyberCom" would probably be the best reasoning ever.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Also, I'm in the process of moving to a different contract that is something I would consider an interesting opportunity as well. I've been in my current position for about 4 months and it came up in my initial interview. The interviewer completely understood that I had moved to town and took the first job in the field and was satisfied with the fact that I'm looking to move into a position that I really want to settle in. I don't plan to making jumping a habit, but once in a while with a good explanation seems to be fine.