Options

Why ISC2 /ISACA/PMI et al. do not mark research questions in exam?

riyanriyan Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
As we are all familiar with ISC2/ISACA/PMI exams format and presence of several questions that will not be counted towards final marking (research / prototype questions). I am wondering what would be wrong if they mark these so that test taker become aware of it. Do you guys/gals think of any reason or rationale behind it?

Comments

• Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well from my experience while taking the test, the questions i felt were "research" questions ive never seen anything similar to them in any of the books are other resources I've used to prepare. It would be a bit harsh to grade on questions that no cissp material has covered.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    For such a long exam if people are told X or Y question is "research", most likely they will not put in as much effort as a "real" question. If you want to test something you need to blend it, not stick out like a sore thumb. Completely defeats the purpose. Example: SANS exams give you your grade percentage every 15 questions. If by the last block I am tired/hungry and have very high marks I won't put much effort thinking about the answer because I'll pass no matter what.
  • Options
    mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    If test takers knew the question was fluff or didn't count, they wouldn't give it their best shot.
    I think the intention of ISC and ISACA is to develop a baseline candidate pool of questions to inject into the real test.
    If 100% of testers answer correctly or incorrectly with no prior knowledge, it's probably not a good candidate for the real test.
    If 50% (or whatever their baseline % is) answer correctly using real world experience, it may be a good candidate for the real test.
    just my opinion. Have no idea what algorithms or baseline metrics they use.
  • Options
    riyanriyan Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got the idea. So basically they want to ensure that test taker give those items same "RESPECT" as that of actual ones. I was writing GRE General (Graduate Record Exams) during that exam I could opt NOT TO TAKE PART in research.