Options

WGU Not NSA or Homeland Security Approved?

orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
I’ve looked over my options for a graduate degree in Information Security/Assurance. It would appear as though WGU is not an Academic Center of Excellence as determined by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security. I would have thought as popular as the school is among ‘tech’ folks it would have earned those credentials by now. I saw an old thread from 2010 that indicated they were working towards the aforementioned accreditation, any idea what happened there?

Thanks,

Travis
  • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
  • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
  • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
  • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
  • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd

Comments

• Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    orlandofl wrote: »
    I’ve looked over my options for a graduate degree in Information Security/Assurance. It would appear as though WGU is not an Academic Center of Excellence as determined by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security. I would have thought as popular as the school is among ‘tech’ folks it would have earned those credentials by now. I saw an old thread from 2010 that indicated they were working towards the aforementioned accreditation, any idea what happened there?

Thanks,

Travis

I've never heard of this being of any value to any school. Maybe I'm out of the loop?
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The value comes to the students in that those are the schools that they can receive full tuition for and then a job upon graduation from the scholarship programs run by the NSF along with NSA. Plus I'm sure federal grants for research in the information assurance arena are easier to come by if the school carries the designation.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This is from a thread a few years ago here:
    julowe wrote: »
    I emailed Gwendolyn Britton about WGU and its CAE status and got the answer that they aren't pursuing it. Full answer copied below.

I'm already accepted and enrolling in May. I don't think this really changes my opinion much. Does it change other people's?
    Unfortunately, no, we aren't pursuing the CAE at this time. The reason? At present, WGU's model doesn't really match to some of the requirements for a CAE. The CAE requirements are really geared toward traditional educational models. Given we don't follow a traditional education model, it is hard for us to meet some of the criteria.

We will continue our relationship with the NSA CAE folks. When the requirements are a bit more flexible, we'll likely apply again.

Let me know if that helps,

Gwen
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I guess it all depends on the individual. I work for the DoD so the NSA/DHS endorsement could potentially be a perk for me when discussing the school I am attending (Starting my MSIA with Dakota State University in the fall). It might not hold much value, who knows.. it probably all depends on the hiring authority and environment you will be working in. I just figured due to nature of my work it couldn't hurt that's for sure.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ive worked in dod, i'vever seen any additional value in it from employers. Then again, the FBI wants CNSS certs so things change. That being said ive seen plenty of hires for agencies with no degree at all.
  • Options
    dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Ive worked in dod, i'vever seen any additional value in it from employers. Then again, the FBI wants CNSS certs so things change. That being said ive seen plenty of hires for agencies with no degree at all.

It adds value in the Federal workspace. But is it that much of a game changer? Probably about as much as Regional Accreditation vs National Accreditation. Some organizations value that and some don't care. I personally don't like UMUC (Did some of my undergrad there) and they have the NSA stamp. I'd pick WGU over UMUC. But I'll always pick Brick and Mortar over WGU or any online only school.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I did a little bit of homework (was very excited about the possibility of a federal scholarship being a veteran) and found this on Dartmouth’s website:

“The DoD is not currently funding the Information Assurance Scholarship Program (IASP).”
    The Information Assurance Scholarship Program (IASP)

So then I looked towards the Cyber corps Scholarship for Service route and got this:

“19. Does the SFS program allow online degree programs?
    NSF does not have a policy that expressly prohibits online programs. The program must be full-time and a student must be fully enrolled (not taking a course or two). In addition, the online program must be included in the NSA CAE certification and in the NSF funding request. Even if all of these conditions are met, the final decision must be made by the institution. Individual institution SFS programs often incorporate seminars, workshops and other resident activities for which the student must be present. An individual institution may decide that an online student cannot meet this demand.”
    https://www.sfs.opm.gov/StudFAQ.aspx?#num37

So out of the two one is no longer funded, the other probably doesn’t accept distance learning students and at the very least won’t accept a part time student….great. I had looked @ Wilmington University’s distance ed Information Security program which does carry the CAE/IAE accreditation and runs about 330 a credit hour…but the program doesn’t appeal to me, the classes leave a lot to be desired as they only offer a handful of IA classes online.

The search continues! Once again thanks for your input.

-Travis
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
  • Options
    Travis, It is unfortunate that the IASP program isn't being funded and the SFS program seems unlikely. You mentioned being a veteran, do you not have the GI Bill or are you just trying to avoid using it on yourself or have you already exhausted it? I also wanted to recommend you give Dakota State University a look for their MSIA program. They have pretty solid reviews here on the TE forums and they are pretty affordable as well with the entire program costing under 12k I believe. I'm starting this program in the fall and it appealed to me over WGU and some of the alternatives that are out there, they are also on the CAE/IAE list as well. Master of Science in Information Assurance | Dakota State University
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Who cares?

It wasn't a deal breaker for me...

I think that the majority of employers are going to be more interested in your work experience than the accolades that your degree carries, as long as it is regionally accredited.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    There seems to be a lot of tension towards anyone who isn't completely sold on WGU on these forums and feel like looking into viable alternatives.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also about Dakota State U mentioned above, it is a brick and mortar school that is offering the online Masters program. Could look better to some employers.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The accreditation is based on a certain curriculum. Since WGU is primarily focused on certification based curriculum you miss out on some of the broader topics and discussions.

WGU is similar to an advanced vocational school, which is not bad but you miss a lot of theory in certifications and get mainly the practical points.
  • Options
    zxbane

I was very interested in the program at Dakota State. Long story short, when I was in the military I was sold on the idea of doing federal law enforcement when I got out. I completed the majority of a criminal justice degree over the years and really have no choice but to finish the degree. I’m actually in my last semester now..so now way I could change programs or anything.

According to Dakota State University’s website:

We admit students into the MSIA program in the fall, spring, and summer semesters.

To apply, you need to have:

A bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or software engineering from an institution with full regional accreditation for that degree.

A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent).

An essay in response to a security problem scenario. You’ll find the scenario within the application form (PDF).

Satisfactory GRE scores on a test taken within the last five years.

If you don’t have an undergraduate degree in computer science, computer engineering, or software engineering, you may be required to take additional coursework as a condition of admission.

Dakota State seems like a great option for those that have an undergrad degree in a technical discipline. Also, I’m not big on the idea of taking the GRE. I’d rather find a program that would just accept a decent GPA for admission. I appreciate your insight and recommendation!
    -Travis
  • Options
    Travis,

While you might not have the desired undergrad degree that doesn't mean you can't enroll in the program, you just might have to take some pre-req's. Also, as far as the GRE goes I know there are various options for having it waived, I'm pretty sure career field experience is one of them so it might be worth looking into. And not a problem, I hope you find a program you are interested in!
  • Options
    I think I'll give them a call tomorrow. It's really hard to pass up a distance learning degree from a brick and mortar state school @ that price..AND have it accredited by the NSA. I wonder if my certifications (A+, Net+, Security+) would act as pre req's? I'll definitely earn my CCNA before starting on my masters...maybe that could count for something. I'll post back when i get some info on this.

Once again Thanks!

Travis
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    A bit pricey, but I like what I've read about the program and the online informational last week was awesome. I've applied just waiting to hear if I was accepted. No GRE or "write me an essay responding to a scenario" for admission crap either :) ...

Penn State Online | Master of Professional Studies in Information Sciences - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance

Also, I was looking for a NSA certified school with an Information Assurance/Cyber Secrutiy Masters program as well. Mainly, because graduate classes from NSA schools "re-up" GIAC certs which is very valuable to me (underrated perk not many seem to know about)....And I hope to work for a big defense contractor one day doing Infosec.
  • Options
    I also looked at Penn State not too long ago...a bit pricey?:D ....maybe that's a tad bit understated lol

Information Sciences - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance (Master of Professional Studies)Tuition rates are for the 2014–15 academic year and are assessed every semester of enrollment.
    $854–$930 per credit

Info Technology Fee:The information technology fee for this program is a flat rate good for one calendar year.
    Fee for 2014–15: $131

Kudos to you for being able to afford it! It is certainly not within my educational budget.

-Travis

• Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Tuition Reimbursement, FTW!!!! Step your employer game up, bro :)
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Maybe so...but you will not be met with any hostility from me. I encourage everyone to seek out and choose the school that best meets their needs. What I alluded to in my previous post was the fact that NSA/DHS endorsement is not an essential requirement for many of us who are considering furthering their careers, knowledge, and opportunities by pursuing a Master's degree. I selected WGU because the competency based approach appealed to me (in addition to the fact that I knew that I would earn the CEH and CHFI as part of the degree requirements instead of being conferred a "Certificate from the college").

I also wish to add that I considered Dakota State University before I decided on WGU, and I would also recommend Dakota's programs as an affordable online option for those of you considering the school.

Now, if you decide to endorse For-Profit schools such as ITT Tech, UoP, Strayer, Devry, then you have all of your work ahead of you trying to prove to me, and the other members of this forum, that the decision to attend such a school is a wise decision when considering the poor return on investment that such schools provide their students...and you will be met with disagreement and downright condemnation from me...
    zxbane wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of tension towards anyone who isn't completely sold on WGU on these forums and feel like looking into viable alternatives.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    Tuition Reimbursement, FTW!!!! Step your employer game up, bro

Touché.....