Options

question regarding job offer

Techguru365Techguru365 Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Guys. I was offered a job as a security analyst yesterday. I am thrilled as this is the career path i wanna embark upon, however I have a few concerns. Let me state the pros and Cons/

Pros: Right career path. will get a secret clearance. short commute. ability to learn alot of new concepts and technology.
Cons: I have to pass CEH in a months time, its a contingency written in the offer letter. salary offered is 60k, that seems a little low based on comps I have seen on job sites like glassdoor etc, but I am willing to take it being as It would be my first security role.
what do you guys think, is CEH attainable in a months time? dont wanna resign my present job, flunk the exam and be unemployed.
also does the salary offer sound fair?
PS. I havent accepted the offer as yet.

Comments

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have more balls than brains so I say go for it. No nuts, no glory.

I heard the CEH is pretty easy, but I have not taken the exam.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would jump on it and get into the career you want, getting into Security is usually the hardest part. It may not be the salary you want right now but give it 2-3 years to gain some valuable experience and continue your learning, and then you'll be able to fix the salary issue.

Based on your current certs I believe CEH would be passable for you, especially if this is something you really want.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are those salary comps based on people with a lot more experience doing that role already? If you're just entering the field without experience it might be a lot different.

Either way, is it an upgrade from your current job? The clearance could be a big deal depending on where you live, and it's a field you want to get into. I'd do it and go hardcore towards the CEH, are they providing any sort of training for it?
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Glassdoor Salary isn't "I just got a job here" salaries. They are "I've been doing this for a bit".

Go for it. I been told the same thing that CEH is easy to obtain.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'd say do it. CEH is easy, you'll learn a lot on the job, the clearance is a nice bonus. The pay is about what I'd expect for the role, if not a bit more being entry. From what I've seen there's usually a lot of room for growth from roles like that. Hang out there and you'll meet people, make connections, and learn about other opportunities in the local security market.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I actually thought that would be a high salary for an entry security position. Maybe different for you being on the east coast though.
  • Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's about right for salary wise, and I'm sure you can earn some experience, certifications and move to a higher position within 3 years. Great way to get yourself in the field.

CEH you shouldn't have any problem with, I used the CBT Nuggets video on it and I was able to pass with an 870 I studied for probably 2 weeks total and I passed the CEH and CHFI the same week.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Based on your certs I don't think you'll have much trouble passing the exam. I don't know the exact duties you'll be assigned but the salary doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
  • Options
    Techguru365Techguru365 Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks alot guys. I have accepted the offer. like you guys said there are alot of upside to the job, just need to start hitting that CEH book now.
  • Options
    DrethylDrethyl Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I actually just got my first real Security job and $60k for the east coast is right on the money especially for someone with no previous security experience.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats techguru365 and drethyl! I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS