Options

Netware Administrator vs ConsoleOne

qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
Can someone explain me the difference between these two utilities? To me they both are exactly the same but ConsoleOne has better looking icons.
World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.

Comments

• Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Console 1 is the new utility that was supposed to replace NWAdmin. Unfortunately, some of the functionality of some of the snapins in NWAdmin were not ported over completely to C1. For example, to install licenses, NWAdmin is my choice. For printer management, you pretty much have to use NWAdmin.

However, NWAdmin had memory issues with all the snapins needed to handle all the new functions of Netware. Also, Novell wanted to comply with accessability requirements as well as portablility into different platforms and so wrote the console in Java. C1 is so slow, but right now a necessary evil.

The next migration step Novell has taken is to make all the utilities web based where you connect to the console with a browser. The problem is, if the web server or Tomcat or items they depend on are broken, how do you use the utilites to fix it? This was a big problem in NW 6.5 (or was it 6.0) if SYS was NSS and was broken. That's when and why they came out with NSSMU.