Options

Counter-offer?

TerminalBTerminalB Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

So I was offered a position at a company recently that would yield about a 25% raise along with a slightly better 401k match and benefits. I have a great relationship with my boss and current teammates though, so when they asked me if I would consider a counter-offer, I said yes. After a few days, my boss came back and said that the most that they could offer would be about 10%, thus leaving the other 15 on the table.

Now I really do love my boss and most of the people I work with, so I'm almost tempted to take the offer. But I kind of feel selfish leaving all of that money on the table (I have a wife and two kids), as well as the potential career progression that this new job would afford.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? For what its worth, I have a few friends who are recruiters and they both advised not to take the offer.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Seems like money is important to you, like everyone else. You have to basically put in your notice to even get a 10% raise from the current job. What makes you think they will keep your salary competitive if you stay? Will you have to force their hand every time? I'd say thanks but no thanks. Especially since there is more potential career progression at the new job.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am sure that many will say that you never take the counter offer. The money comes from somewhere and its from your future raises and incentives or worse, from those of your team. Your employer can and may hold the counter offer against you in the future as to why your not getting any additional increases or worse, why you now need to do far more than you did before or that of your peers. It can cause a rift between your coworkers as they now know your making more than them and feel slighted that you not only got an offer to leave but more money from your employer when they got neither of those things.

In general a counter is a shoulda, coulda, woulda on your employers part to make up for not providing an incentive for your employment in the first place. You don't control the business factors that control your pay and neither does your boss but this will send a clear message that top candidates deserve top pay and they lost you because of it.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Given the information you posted I would go with the new company, it's not necessarily about the money but the potential career growth. But the additional money doesn't hurt either.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Counteroffer conversations here always end up in two groups: those in favor, those against, with good arguments on both sides. I personally have never met anyone who got a good outcome out of accepting a counteroffer. The way I see it, if I am looking elsewhere, it's for a reason. If I see something that fits what I am looking for I go for it and never look back.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How do both coincide with your goals? Which one has more opportunity for growth?

After reading this message board, I'd avoid the counter offer in most cases.
  • Options
    jerseyIT92jerseyIT92 Banned Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A very wise person once told me to never take a counter offer. If they thought you were worth it, they should have offered that to you in the first place.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    When you began looking for work was it only because of money or was there other reasons? Were you hoping to find something that pushed your skills further and monetary incentive came with it?

Usually people leave for reasons besides money alone a lot of times and that is why I never consider the counter offer. If my reason was solely money I'd consider it but even then it shouldn't take me quitting to get the money if it was there all along and I leave anyway.
  • Options
    BookFellaBookFella Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take the new job offer: 25% raise & better career advancement.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you take the counter offer, though flattering, your employer will never trust you again. Its human nature. The second thing is you never want to be seen by your employer as to "stoking the fires" so to say when your coworkers get wind and try the same thing.

HR would tell you to take the money and run.

- b/eads
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Personally, that's alot of money to leave on the table, much less the career progression that you will make. Now, if this place doesn't work out, you would probably be able to come back. Or, in a few years and you've moved up in your career you may be eligible for a higher level position at the company you left for even more money. I've seen a few people that have done that. Just remember, be compassionate, nice, and pleasant with your current boss and tell him that you thank him for the counter and you've really thought hard and deep about this. Explain that you are flattered that they gave you this counter offer, but the amount of money you would be giving up is just too much to ignore. When you are working your last couple of weeks, work hard and don't burn any bridges. They will understand and would probably do the same if they were in your shoes. Key is, don't burn any bridges as your boss may get a better job at another company in a year or so and will reach out to you if he wants you to be on his team and he has the company behind him to pay you more than fairly. It's always about who you know in IT that will really benefit you long term.

Good luck!
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I wish I could have been the first one to respond to a thread headlined 'CounterOffer.'

One word response - NO.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Rumblr33Rumblr33 Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your current team and boss are great and you have nice working relationship, but they are not responsible for you and your family needs(i.e. they don't pay your bills). Go with the new job. I have come to experience, in I.T. if you want better pay, get a different job. Not all cases but most. Good luck in your decision.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've accepted a counter offer. The money was going to be the same, and the counter offered new opportunities within the company which lead to better things.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What led you to seek out a new position to begin with?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    What led you to seek out a new position to begin with?

They actually reached out to me on LinkedIn, but our company is currently going through a re-org, so that kind of helped things along as well.
  • Options
    Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Once you are to the point of getting a counter-offer, it is too late. What I have done in the past, and will do at my current job once the timing is appropriate, is to simply tell my boss that I am being heavily recruited. I typically tell my boss that I like the company I work for, generally like the work I'm doing, but the salary ranges I am being pitched make it difficult not to consider interviewing, or at least having a conversation with the recruiters. Last place I did this told me what could be done salary-wise before I even had an offer. It wasn't enough to keep me, but it helped take a lot of uncertainty and doubt out of the situation.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Heed my words of wisdom and do not take the counter offer. I worked for a company where I loved the people, but the pay sucked. My manager at the time (who was a partner in the company) told me I'd be getting at least a couple grand when it came time for reviews. We moved offices and got a new Director of Operations who ultimately became responsible for everything and thus he delivered the news about raises. Push came to shove and I was the last to get my review which meant I saw the raise in my check before the review. It was utterly insulting. In my meeting I told him as much and that I would have to start looking elsewhere. He asked, what I thought I deserved and told me at the very least give him a week to see if it was doable.

A week later I got the raise I felt I should have gotten with the stipulation that I remain with them at least six months. Ten months later I gave them a months notice that I was leaving. The head of sales flipped and sent me one of the nastiest emails I have ever received in my life (honestly it was one of the nastiest things ever said to me and I was in law enforcement where you hear the worst of things). First thing he cited in his email? That I had done this before and that they gave me what I wanted so who was I to leave?

So say you appreciate the counter offer and move on. For the rest of your time there they will keep that in their hat and use it any time you speak your mind about anything. Also, liking the people you work with should never be your reason to stay. I have plenty of friends who were coworkers who I talk to still. So stay friends and in contact, but move along.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Heed my words of wisdom and do not take the counter offer. I worked for a company where I loved the people, but the pay sucked. My manager at the time (who was a partner in the company) told me I'd be getting at least a couple grand when it came time for reviews. We moved offices and got a new Director of Operations who ultimately became responsible for everything and thus he delivered the news about raises. Push came to shove and I was the last to get my review which meant I saw the raise in my check before the review. It was utterly insulting. In my meeting I told him as much and that I would have to start looking elsewhere. He asked, what I thought I deserved and told me at the very least give him a week to see if it was doable.

A week later I got the raise I felt I should have gotten with the stipulation that I remain with them at least six months. Ten months later I gave them a months notice that I was leaving. The head of sales flipped and sent me one of the nastiest emails I have ever received in my life (honestly it was one of the nastiest things ever said to me and I was in law enforcement where you hear the worst of things). First thing he cited in his email? That I had done this before and that they gave me what I wanted so who was I to leave?

So say you appreciate the counter offer and move on. For the rest of your time there they will keep that in their hat and use it any time you speak your mind about anything. Also, liking the people you work with should never be your reason to stay. I have plenty of friends who were coworkers who I talk to still. So stay friends and in contact, but move along.

Great story and piece of advice there, thank you!
  • Options
    wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've never been in a situation where I've had a counter offer, but the general consensus i've seen is that the counter-offer is just the company's way of buying time to look for your replacement at their convenience.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I know someone that did. Told him not to, but he still works there. And is probably still ultimately overworked/underpaid given his responsibilities. He is a one man show, so there goes room for advancement.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Also, liking the people you work with should never be your reason to stay. I have plenty of friends who were coworkers who I talk to still. So stay friends and in contact, but move along.

i've been trying to tell these ppl that...

sentiment doesn't pay the bills...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm revisiting this scenario again now. My gut is telling me to take the new opportunity.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think a lot depends on the management team. If they are solid and professional you can counter with them, since the assumption here is they are reasonable. If you are dealing with some chop shop then it's time to bounce.

The counter offer itself is perfectly fine, it's an excellent form of negotiating giving the employee extended leverage for a period of time.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are many, many articles regarding the pros and cons of counteroffers that pop up in a Google search if you have some time to do a bit of reading. Lots of good info and advice from business professionals.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Look at overall offer.
    benefits, match 401, travel, opportunity, type of business, do they pay for training?
    is travel required?
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Ask yourself which company will give you more opportunities? Will you be able to advance in the old or the new company?
    Which company have better benefits?
    Location of the company. There is no point making more money if the cost living is high over there.
  • Options
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Ask yourself which company will give you more opportunities? Will you be able to advance in the old or the new company?
    Which company have better benefits?
    Location of the company. There is no point making more money if the cost living is high over there.

I ended up taking the new position. Salary, benefits, 401k are all better while the commute is about the same. It's funny though, I do sometimes think back and wonder if I should have taken the counter because I really do miss the old place and my friends there.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you like your new position? Are things going well?

I also decided to take the new position, as it affords me some great opportunities.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    What if you weren't looking? What if you're happy at your current company but a recruiter approached you with an offer that was too good to pass up?

Would it be wise to consider the counter offer?
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I've been both ways, I've taken a counter off and continued to have a great career and rasises and fun with no judgement and I've left companies and found people who I have a great relationship with.

List out pros and cons for each position: Take people out of the equation, your boss or teammates could get fired or die to tomorrow so they cannot be a factor. Look at skills, money, benefits, and travel time. Also look at ability of positions to promote and get you to your goals.