Options

Survey to formulate Einstein version of "IT certification relativity theory"

riyanriyan Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was wondering which IT Security cert has greater value in terms of ROI. I tried and did research on the net but could not get definite & objective answer. Even one site mentioned ITIL-F earning more than ITIL-Expert. I know may be it was not analyzed properly. I am starting with cissp b/c it is considered gold standard.

I have a simple proposition. If let's say we have a federal regulation that IT workers can keep only one discrete certification in order regulate & control knowledge (what ever absurd reason you can think of..put it here). Out of your certification portfolio, which one you will keep it i.e. considering your current portfolio, which one you will most likely keep it. Also consider the related regulation in order to apply for job, it will be mandatory to have an IT certification.

I have formulated an underlying theory about which certification will be for keeper. I will share it in the end.

Rules:
  • Do not consider no. of exams to attain a cert. for eg ITIL expert is one certification.
  • Any advanced concentration will be considered one cert i.e CISSP-ISSAP.
  • Do not mix formal degree program with certification.
  • You can consider any IT area, if you have diverse portfolio.

Comments

• Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Depends on the field in which you practice. Router jocks will choose the CCIE (Security) or JCCIE, while Professional forensic examiners will choose EnCase likely over everything else available. CISA for auditors - depends where your money lives.

- b/eads
  • Options
    beads wrote: »
    Depends on the field in which you practice. Router jocks will choose the CCIE (Security) or JCCIE, while Professional forensic examiners will choose EnCase likely over everything else available. CISA for auditors - depends where your money lives.

- b/eads

That's the point. Now from your current portfolio, what will you like to retain as sole IT certification? I am making a wild guess CISSP-ISSAP or ECH???
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Being generalist - the CISSP-ISSAP. The CEH is still just the "Tour of Tools" to me. GPEN made me wretch in pain. PMP left me in a daze for days. Should take CRISC but afraid I'd need intravenous caffeine drips to keep from falling asleep during the exam itself. We are just too far into the marketing scheme to develop a CCIE type hands on security exam without the base requirements of the SANS GSE. Love the idea but really don't want a degree from SANS, no offense.

On second thought I'd keep the MCNE or Master Certified Novel Engineer. Its old and proves I can cling to obsolete technologies like your supposed to!

- b/eads
  • Options
    beads wrote: »
    Being generalist - the CISSP-ISSAP. The CEH is still just the "Tour of Tools" to me. GPEN made me wretch in pain. PMP left me in a daze for days. Should take CRISC but afraid I'd need intravenous caffeine drips to keep from falling asleep during the exam itself. We are just too far into the marketing scheme to develop a CCIE type hands on security exam without the base requirements of the SANS GSE. Love the idea but really don't want a degree from SANS, no offense.

On second thought I'd keep the MCNE or Master Certified Novel Engineer. Its old and proves I can cling to obsolete technologies like your supposed to!

- b/eads

So are clinging on MCNE. Anyone else would like to share his/her choice for the above fictitious scenario?