Mcsa 2012

i was thinking about taking 70-411 cert first to write on my resume i know how to administer windows server 2012. to help me get a job in sys admin field. once i'm in the field i might finish the other two. what you think.

Comments

  • bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    Slee335,

    The MCSA is comprised of three tests the 70-410, 70-411 and the 70-412. I personally would recommend starting with the 70-410, which is a pretty easy test compared to the 70-411 which is pretty comprehensive. I've both taken and taught all of the MCSE 2012 track over the past three years. Taking only the 70-411 will only give you a MCP or Microsoft Certified Professional. Please don't stress on the point of "only". Starting on the MCSA/MCSE track and obtaining the MCP title is the first goal or achievement.

    I urge you to look at the objectives for the 70-410. I've started documenting the lectures and labs for the 70-410 on my Youtube Channel (see my signature below). The objective can be found here https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/exam-70-410.aspx. If you have any questions about this exam or others please post back and both I and others here will add our guidance.

    That being said, get some experience from now and start plugging for a network job if you do not have experience already. Over the past 20 years I've educated alot of older adults breaking into this field aka "ex-milkman" or "ex-milkpersons" (times have changed). One thing stands out which is experience, however use your existing work experience like customer service, writing skills, etc... Don't reinvent yourself, you usually have a lot to offer and the soft skills are highly valued by employers.

    Bohack
    ______________________________________________________________

    NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel
  • slee335slee335 Member Posts: 124
    The MCSA is comprised of three tests the 70-410, 70-411 and the 70-412. I personally would recommend starting with the 70-410, which is a pretty easy test compared to the 70-411 which is pretty comprehensive. I've both taken and taught all of the MCSE 2012 track over the past three years. Taking only the 70-411 will only give you a MCP or Microsoft Certified Professional. Please don't stress on the point of "only". Starting on the MCSA/MCSE track and obtaining the MCP title is the first goal or achievement.

    i was thinking about going for the 410 first but the title of install and config doesn't sound so impressive than administrating windows. my thought was get the 411 put on the resume to hopefully find a job in the admin field and slowly get the 410 and 412.

    I urge you to look at the objectives for the 70-410. I've started documenting the lectures and labs for the 70-410 on my Youtube Channel (see my signature below). The objective can be found here https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/exam-70-410.aspx. If you have any questions about this exam or others please post back and both I and others here will add our guidance.

    That being said, get some experience from now and start plugging for a network job if you do not have experience already. Over the past 20 years I've educated alot of older adults breaking into this field aka "ex-milkman" or "ex-milkpersons" (times have changed). One thing stands out which is experience, however use your existing work experience like customer service, writing skills, etc... Don't reinvent yourself, you usually have a lot to offer and the soft skills are highly valued by employers.

    got no luck finding a job in the right field.
  • bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    Slee,

    I understand the motivation now. As for the title of the 70-410 exam it in no way reflects the content within. I use to teach the entire MCSE from cradle to grave (70-410 to 70-414), however now I only teach the higher certs 412,413,414 and Cisco. One thing my students agree on is the material for my objective they have seen 2 or 3 times. My explanation is that from the 410 to 414, each exam covers the somewhat same material just much deeper.

    The 70-410 is not about just putting a CD in and installing Server 2012, maybe the first chapter is... However the first chapters also covers WDS and alternate installation methods. The end of the book covers group policy and the processing of GPOs. Which is not elemental stuff, although I agree it's not as in depth as the 411.

    I've been doing this for a long time and I've found if there is determination and desire to enter into the field... You'll find a job that fits you well, it's like finding a wife or husband there is one out there for everyone. And once the honeymoon is over, its work... PM me and we can discuss some tact in finding something in the field, if you would like.

    Bohack
    ______________________________________________________________

    NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Senior Member Mod Posts: 6,915 Mod
    Just my opinion, but make sure you cert for the right reasons. Taking 70-411 first becuase it sounds "impressive" seems like the wrong approach. If I'm interviewing you I would definitely ask why you didn't take 70-410 first as most people do. As someone involved in hiring, I would certainly not be impressed by the fact that you started with this exam. Like bohack said the exams have a natural progression and build upon each other.
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Just my opinion, but make sure you cert for the right reasons. Taking 70-411 first becuase it sounds "impressive" seems like the wrong approach. If I'm interviewing you I would definitely ask why you didn't take 70-410 first as most people do. As someone involved in hiring, I would certainly not be impressed by the fact that you started with this exam. Like bohack said the exams have a natural progression and build upon each other.
    This is correct, I wouldn't do the exams in any other order than what they're in.
  • Skynet9Skynet9 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys...off topic question:

    Microsft is releasing new server in 2016 most likely, so wouldn't it be better to wait?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Senior Member Mod Posts: 6,915 Mod
    This comes up every time there's a new major release. We are still too far away. By the time the product is on the street, trickles down to enterprises, certification is developed, etc, you are talking a LONG time. Not worth it in my opinion if you are looking to make a move within the next 6-12 months.
  • bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    That is true, factor that in with the adoption and 2012 is a very valuable cert even after 2016 is released. If you wait for the next release you will forever be procrastinating starting a cert track. There will always be a new version of something... coming..
    ______________________________________________________________

    NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel
  • slee335slee335 Member Posts: 124
    PM you. thanks.
    bohack wrote: »
    Slee,

    I understand the motivation now. As for the title of the 70-410 exam it in no way reflects the content within. I use to teach the entire MCSE from cradle to grave (70-410 to 70-414), however now I only teach the higher certs 412,413,414 and Cisco. One thing my students agree on is the material for my objective they have seen 2 or 3 times. My explanation is that from the 410 to 414, each exam covers the somewhat same material just much deeper.

    The 70-410 is not about just putting a CD in and installing Server 2012, maybe the first chapter is... However the first chapters also covers WDS and alternate installation methods. The end of the book covers group policy and the processing of GPOs. Which is not elemental stuff, although I agree it's not as in depth as the 411.

    I've been doing this for a long time and I've found if there is determination and desire to enter into the field... You'll find a job that fits you well, it's like finding a wife or husband there is one out there for everyone. And once the honeymoon is over, its work... PM me and we can discuss some tact in finding something in the field, if you would like.

    Bohack
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Skynet9 wrote: »
    Hey guys...off topic question:

    Microsft is releasing new server in 2016 most likely, so wouldn't it be better to wait?
    Even when it's released you're probably going to be better off doing 2012 because there won't be too many companies migrating to the new server OS any time soon (let alone MS actually having official study material available !), a lot of businesses would've heavily invested in 2012 migration and unless the new OS has some major benefits a lot may just skip it.

    And in terms of study, I attempted 410 just over 12 months ago and much like the OS, MS seem to refine the exam questions over time so anyone sitting that exam now has it a lot easier IMO than it was then, which is why I failed previously ! :).

    Unless you have a need to have your certs very current it's probably best to wait around 2yrs after they've been released before sitting them so I'd imagine I'll be looking to update my MCSE 2012 in 2018.
  • ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Skynet9 wrote: »
    Hey guys...off topic question:

    Microsft is releasing new server in 2016 most likely, so wouldn't it be better to wait?

    Get your MCSA 2012. I am sure that when Microsoft puts out the MCSA 2016 they will have an exam like the 70-417 that will upgrade your 2012 to 2016.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Start with 410 and continue on with the MCSA 2012. You can self study or even take classes. I took classes at the local community college. They offer the cert classes in their "Continuing Education" department. They are not boot camps. Each class was two nights a week for 8 weeks.

    If you have more questions, there are plenty of great people on this site that can assist. Good luck!
Sign In or Register to comment.