Options

Do I still have a shot at I.T?

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
I'm 20 years old and currently enlisted in the military for 4 years. I have a Secret Security clearance and I plan on getting a degree in I.T because that is where my true passion lives even though my military job is not related to I.T.

Comments

• Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't see why not. Isn't rule #1 about have a clearance "don't advertise that you have a clearance"?
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    How long have you been working in IT?
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A better question is, why wouldn't you have a shot?
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're kidding right? No offense but this must be a joke, its not like you're trying to become an Olympic Gymnast and your career is over by the time your are 20 years old. My god I would give almost anything to be 20 again and know what I know now. Anyways, yes at 20 anything is open to you and I mean anything.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A couple years out of high school and not in IT already... It is gonna be tough!

icon_jokercolor.gif
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    At 20, I was more into Mardi Gras and spring break lol. Started my IT career at 23.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    I used to work with a guy at Geek Squad who who went on to be a Sniper in the Army. He got out, earned the CCNA, earned a Bachelor degree and he now works as a Network Engineer.

Never too late to make the swap to a career in IT.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I went to college right out high school and was going for Finance, after 2 years I said "this is pretty boring, screw this, no way I'm gonna do this for the rest of my life". Took like 2 years off of college trying to figure out what I want to do. Went back, and got my degree in Computer Information Systems. Was 25 when I graduated and got my first IT job.

Pretty sure I am only one or two classes away from an associates in Business Administration...
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    A couple years out of high school and not in IT already... It is gonna be tough!

icon_jokercolor.gif

I started into professional IT at 25. Look at me now. icon_razz.gif
  • Options
    Luis103Luis103 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started in IT at 21 on the Help Desk and now I'm 23 promoted to a Jr, Systems Engineer Position

So no way are you late..icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    seigexseigex Member Posts: 105
    I'm going to give you the best tip in life I can. Don't let your clearance expire. Once you're out, that sets you apart for many jobs, and can help you get your foot in the door. As long as you keep an active job within a certain grace period, you'll be OK. I had a TS when I left the military, which I let expire about 10 years ago. I still regret letting it expire to this day.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You definitely are at a good age and have a shot never too late to pursue what you are going after!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I spent 22 years in the USAF doing non-IT related duties. I got out, got a few certs and broke into IT. As such, in less than two years I was able to nearly double my starting pay (putting me only slightly below the salary that I was making when I got out). So, long story short, even if you made the military a career in a non-IT job, you'll still be able to break into IT.

Now, having said that, here is some advice that I would have liked to have received way, way before I retired: get your certifications, find places that need IT volunteers, and start wracking up those hours. You can put your volunteer experience on your resume (just make sure that you clearly state the title/position, responsibilities, hours donated, and the organization(s) that you volunteered for) and many companies will give that experience a similar weight to professional IT experience (YMMV as the employer may or may not give it much weight). To many companies, experience is experience. Again, YMMV.

Good luck.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    Use your military time to finish CLEP exams for credit and finish your Bachelor in something related to IT either by the time you get out, or soon after.

You have plenty of time to get into IT. During your last year, network with any contractors on site to see how to get in as a tech, installer, w/e. Having a job lined up when you get out is important.

You might get out and not get directly into IT, but instead go to a civilian operations center with a military presence. This can open doors if you show you are a self starter.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well let's see here.. I joined the Army when I was 17, I got out after 10 years at the age of 27 without having an IT related job either. I was always interested in IT security, got an AS in NetSec and a few certs. Before I left I had a job with a salary making the same I was enlisted (E6/dependents/10 years, plus BAH/BAS). Less than 5 months later I bumped it 20k. A year later and was making double what I was enlisted.

The only thing that held me back was people wanted to see more experience for what I seemed to know. Depending on your MOS now and the in/out calls you can always try to put in a 4187 for reclass. 35Q if you're more interested in offensive operations, 25D if you're interested in defensive operations. 25B if you're more interested in networking.
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is there a reason you don't think you'd have a shot? I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. Also, your avatar is my current wallpaper image lol.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ummm I was a diesel mechanic in the army for almost 7 years...got into IT after getting out. Heck, i'm about to graduate with a B.A. in Criminal Justice and am currently working in IT. Get your certs and get a (relevant if at all possible) degree. Nothing will count against you...it's called a career change..and at age 20 you really haven't even started.

Best of luck and stay safe for the remainder of your enlistment!

-Travis
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
  • Options
    majestic_pecanmajestic_pecan Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I spent my 20s going to school, teaching and doing random jobs I didn't much care for. I didn't break in to IT until I was 31. So I'd say that yes, you have a shot.
    2016 GOALS:
    Linux+
    Wireshark
    New job...
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Of course you still have a shot. Get that degree and if you ever get the chance to move into a more IT type role in the military jump at it. I'm not sure how difficult it is to move into that to be honest. I didn't get my degree until I was 29 and started my IT career at that time. You can do it, especially if that is where your passion and heart are set. You'll make it happen.

Good luck and thank you for your service.