Passed

nethersdenizennethersdenizen Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
I studied with a "Security+ for Dummies" book and this site, passed with about 800 points, I forget the exact number, doesn't really matter passing is passing.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• ghaoufghaouf Inactive Imported Users Posts: 317
    wtg, how hard was the exam and any topics you think are realy important
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Great job, congrats! Please, tell us more about the book... was it good preparation for the exam? Did you know anything about security before you started studying for this exam?
  • nethersdenizennethersdenizen Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didn't find it that hard, I put in about 50 hours of study for it. A lot of it I knew before I got my book. I'm a third year computer student at a local college. The only other certifications I have attempted was the CCNA, which I failed by a couple questions and put about 200 hours of prep time into. I didn't want to take A+ and Network+ because I feel they are too basic for my experiance level, I don't want to spend the money on them but will have to it seems because a lot of places seem to list it as being manditory for a job. Once I get those I can compare it a little bit better to other CompTIA tests.

If you are thinking about taking it make sure you know port numbers, wireless security, firewalls types, and such. Everything listed under the objectives was on it.

Also this test is at a good pace, not a mad dash like some tests(CCNA) where you have to beat the clock not the material. Finished the questions in about 30 minutes then had an extra 60 minutes to review everything, and found two mistakes.

It was $225 to take, kind of a lot. Hopefully it was worth it. For me it's not the study time it's the price since I have no job anymore.

If you want it, go and get it and the book I used is on Ebay up for auction :)
  • nethersdenizennethersdenizen Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Go and get the cert, not my book that is.

The book was cheap and not too bad. It tell you what is on the test and what is also not on the test so you don't spend time on things that are a waste of time to learn(for the test anyways)

It also has a CD with a couple hundred questions that are similar the the real questions but the production quality isn't that good of the CD, it would somtimes say I got things wrong and tell me that the correct answer was the one that I had picked in the first place, kind of funny.

book is about 300 pages and fairly fun to read, unlike some dummies book they don't talk down to you either.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations :)
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • ghaoufghaouf Inactive Imported Users Posts: 317
    i am thinking about doing this exam.