Options

Strange Interview Questions

The Silent AssassinThe Silent Assassin Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I am wondering what is the strangest question that you were asked during an interview?

I had a phone interview and was asked what I did for fun outside of work. I answered it with the standard guy stuff i.e. video games, hanging out with friends, go to the movies.

When I told them I played video games they followed it up with what kind. I replied telling that I used to play fps games but mostly stick to sports titles these days. From the time that was answered I've been thinking "oh s***, you said fps now you aren't getting this job because of that, these are the type of people that believe players of fps games are prone to shoot up their workplace."

I have been on many interviews and the interviewer always asks the same generic questions... tell me about a time blank, what is your biggest strength/weakness but this was the first time I was asked about personal interests then present other questions related to the initial question.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm an avid gun enthusiast and collector. I've been asked about hobbies during interviews and have mentioned shooting as one of my main hobbies as well as the fact that I was an assistant firearms instructor. It has never been an issue. If a place frowns upon that, then it's not the place for me. I'm never afraid to hide my true self.

I guess I've been lucky I haven't been asked those stupid "how do you unload a 747 full of jellybeans" type questions.
  • Options
    StevenP2013StevenP2013 Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GTA V for PC just came out a few weeks ago. Ive been playing it a lot lately to take a break from studying. I was just thinking about this exact scenario yesterday. Ive read a lot of guides on interviews. As most of you are probably aware, they ask you what you like to do for fun to get you to relax and open up more. Its usually the first question they ask. If they are going to read into it so far the playing FPS leads to shooting up the place, then that's there problem and you do not want to work there anyways. I might say video games in an interview, and if they ask, ILL name off some of the team collaboration games. That may be what they were looking for. There was an article on that recently regarding putting it on your resume if your the leader of a group for an online game. Anyways, oddest question Ive been asked is "What type of company culture do you look for?" That was for a helpdesk position in 2010 or 2011. I can understand asking middle or upper management that, but helpdesk?
  • Options
    pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was asked in an interview once "if you worked on a ship and you stumbled across a co-worker in the belly of the ship trying to sink it what would I do". I was like that's a fairly crazy question cause if he sinks the ship I die too so I said I would try to stop him and if I can't I would get help.
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My boss likes to ask if an interviewee is a gamer, mostly because a bunch of us at work game together (Ventrilo server, Steam group, etc.). Not that it matters, it's more curiosity than anything.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "What is your current salary?". I find it strange because I don't understand how my last employer relates to the new job.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I was in law enforcement the questions they asked were always thought provoking. IT wise I feel like I've always got standard questions.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    So I am preparing to transition, and this happened after a phone interview yesterday for a position requiring Security +, CEH within 6 months, a security clearance and 3-5 years of experience with a CISSP preferred.

"How does 35k/yr sound?"

It seems employers think that Military base pay is what we live on, they cant fathom that I actually make nearly 100k/yr once you factor in all the benefits and cost of living allowances. This is mostly self inflicted by my fellow service members, I cant go a day without seeing some kind of FB post about how we make less than minimum wage.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I have been asked:

1. What are 5 things you can do with a pencil?

2. Why is there fur on tennis balls?

I kind of went with #1 and answered the best I could, but when they asked #2 I laughed a bit and looked at the second interviewer in the room and asked if they were serious.
  • Options
    wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Robertf969 wrote: »
    So I am preparing to transition, and this happened after a phone interview yesterday for a position requiring Security +, CEH within 6 months, a security clearance and 3-5 years of experience with a CISSP preferred.

"How does 35k/yr sound?"

It seems employers think that Military base pay is what we live on, they cant fathom that I actually make nearly 100k/yr once you factor in all the benefits and cost of living allowances. This is mostly self inflicted by my fellow service members, I cant go a day without seeing some kind of FB post about how we make less than minimum wage.

The answer in my head would be "how does me leaving once I've obtained those certs for a job that actually pays well sound?"
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    I was asked if someone called in and said my pen does not work what would you do? I started to go through typical troubleshooting steps. What kind of pen, did it work before? can you open it up. etc. Not that bad a question in retrospect.
  • Options
    The Silent AssassinThe Silent Assassin Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well I heard back from the company I had the phone interview with, the next day actually, asking that I come in for a "panel interview." This is a desktop support job that I last interviewed for about a 15 months ago and back then they wanted somebody they could "mold" so technical ability was not at the top of the list surprisingly.
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ande0255 wrote: »
    2. Why is there fur on tennis balls?

That's easy... Its so when I peg you with the tennis ball for asking such a worthless and asinine question like this one, it leaves less of a mark than a ball not covered in fur. I can demonstrate if you'd like, do you have a tennis ball handy?

Seriously though, my tolerance for questions like that is very limited. Ill play along for 1 or 2 but my patience beyond that wears thin and I start turning the questions back on them.

How would I unload a 747 full of Jellybeans? I wouldnt, Id go to the homedepot down the street hire Jesus and 4 of his friends for $20/day and then submit a bill for $6000. $3000 for "Logistics Consulting," $2000 for 2 days of labor and $1000 for miscellaneous supplies.

Four people need to cross a rickety bridge at night. Unfortunately, they have only one torch and the bridge is too dangerous to cross without one. The bridge is only strong enough to support two people at a time. Not all people take the same time to cross the bridge. Times for each person: 1 min, 2 mins, 7 mins and 10 mins. What is the shortest time needed for all four of them to cross the bridge?

You must have a lot of workmen's comp claims dont you? The shortest time needed is as long as it takes. Personally, Im less concerned with getting all 4 of my people across the bridge in the shortest time possible as I am with getting all 4 of them across the bridge as safely as possible.

Here are some more good ones to other common non-puzzle questions:
    The 6 Crappiest Interview Questions - The Oatmeal

GTA V for PC just came out a few weeks ago. Ive been playing it a lot lately to take a break from studying.

There are some jobs at some companies (like Rockstar Games) where playing GTA V could be seen as an asset, or at least not a liability.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I'm an avid gun enthusiast and collector. I've been asked about hobbies during interviews and have mentioned shooting as one of my main hobbies as well as the fact that I was an assistant firearms instructor. It has never been an issue. If a place frowns upon that, then it's not the place for me. I'm never afraid to hide my true self.

While I generally agree that you shouldnt have to hide your hobbies, I also dont know that it's something to really get into in an interview. I wouldn't want to work for a company that frowns upon my hobbies but by the same token, I dont know that I'd want my hobbies to be brought into the equation when it comes to making a hiring decision. For example, I enjoy(ed) skydiving and it is something I would like to do again but I dont generally disclose this activity as the vast majority of the people would consider me a high risk taker. While I do take risks, they are calculated and well thought out risks and the risks I take in my personal life are different from those I do in my professional life. I dont hide it but I dont really discuss it until I've established a relationship with the company/management.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I worked for a British company that had a few guys come out from the UK to interview us for a new NOC that was being built. All of us were thrown off about all of the questions about feelings. How did that make you feel? Is this a therapy session or a tech interview. :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS