Options

EXCLUSIVE: CompTIA A+ Exams Undergoing Update

D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595

Comments

• Options
    Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When CompTIA updates its exams does it make the older ones not worth as much? For example I am A+ under the 2003 objectives, would someone who passed it under the 2005 objectives seem more qualified if that makes sense. Or is A+ the same not matter what objectives you passed it under?
  • Options
    OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    Great... Appears I will have to start all over again after this update has been released... Lets hope they either do it soon or take their time (like end of the year)...

- Joey
  • Options
    JiggsawwJiggsaww Member Posts: 195
    ^^^^^^ y u plan on takin A+ again?
  • Options
    Jiggsaww wrote:
    ^^^^^^ y u plan on takin A+ again?

Anytime there is a update on their exams, I will plan to take the new exam... Though, I would imagine anyone who has a previous exam would be fine, but if the exams have been updated more then once since then, I think it'd be time to retake it. As for me, I want to stay as up-to-date as possible, so I will definitely take the new exam once it's released...

- Joey
  • Options
    certificationjourney [bancertificationjourney [ban Inactive Imported Users Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OpenSource wrote:
    Great... Appears I will have to start all over again after this update has been released... Lets hope they either do it soon or take their time (like end of the year)...

- Joey

You have lots of time in your hands and money to waste I guess.
  • Options

Ha... Well, I am currently unemployed, so I do indeed have available free time. What I don't have though, is money. But I seem to get things done. I basically just spend my little money on certification books (cheaper the better) and use as much free material as possible (ex: TechNotes)...

As for the exams themselves, I only take the exams when I have the money to do so. Which is honestly very rare. I won't be able to take any exams for quite awhile; my family is going through a tough time financially. In fact, I won't have money to take exams until around the end of 2006 or into 2007...

- Joey
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Comptia Certs are usually good for life. No need to update. I've never heard of anyone getting turned down because they had the older cert as long as you have some experience to back it up.
  • Options
    OpenSource wrote:

Ha... Well, I am currently unemployed, so I do indeed have available free time. What I don't have though, is money. But I seem to get things done. I basically just spend my little money on certification books (cheaper the better) and use as much free material as possible (ex: TechNotes)...

As for the exams themselves, I only take the exams when I have the money to do so. Which is honestly very rare. I won't be able to take any exams for quite awhile; my family is going through a tough time financially. In fact, I won't have money to take exams until around the end of 2006 or into 2007...

- Joey

yo wat happens if u fail?.......if u want to keep updated read magazines or read a PC book.......comptia exams are for life and ask most of the guys here on the job market in the actuall field u ain't using A+......but hey if thaz wat you wanna do then iz up to u!
  • Options
    yo wat happens if u fail?.......if u want to keep updated read magazines or read a PC book.......comptia exams are for life and ask most of the guys here on the job market in the actuall field u ain't using A+......but hey if thaz wat you wanna do then iz up to u!

First, I can barely understand what you're trying to say or what language you're trying to say it in.

Second, my earlier comments are merely opinions, I'm not saying everyone has to retake the exam. In fact, I'm actually happy CompTIA doesn't work that way. I just personally like to stay up-to-date as possible with technology, so if I was presented with the oppurtunity to retake an exam, I would not pass it up. As mentioned, I won't be taking any exams for quite some time, though...

Third, I agree. The best way to stay up-to-date is not by taking an exam(s). The best way to stay informed is reading (books, websites, magazines, etc.) and hands on experience (with new generation hardware and software technology)...

- Joey
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I study for exams, I just go to book stores and stay there while I read the books. That way, time is the only thing I end up spending. No need to buy $50 books...and it's better when there's a coffee shop with tables. ;)

That's how unemployed guys like me used to study for exams. though, I guess I'll have to pay for my stuff now that I've got a job. ^^;

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    Quite agree with you there opensource...Sorry about the language, i often forget we are on different sides of the globe (so to speak) :)
  • Options
    d00000d, don't waste your money...get a vendor cert instead, like CCNA or MCP or somethin.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Matt_Smi wrote:
    When CompTIA updates its exams does it make the older ones not worth as much?
    No.
    For example I am A+ under the 2003 objectives, would someone who passed it under the 2005 objectives seem more qualified if that makes sense. Or is A+ the same not matter what objectives you passed it under?

No, and frankly, someone who passed an earlier exam and is current in the industry work would be more desirable IMO. Thiis person has experience! While people do allow themselves to become stagnant in their knowledge, it is far less likely for someone who has 15-20 years in the industry as well as other current certifications (such as MS, Cisco, etc..) to be less knowledgeable then they once were. Possible, but unlikely.

Read current literature. Attend seminars, workshops on occassion. There are far to many certifications out there that can improve ones resume rather than worrying about taking the newest flavor of CompTIA certifications each time they are released. This is likely why the certs from them do not expire. Their certificaitons compliment the other industry certs and people accept they exams do not expire. Besides, why would you list on your resume which exam series you took? A+ = A+??

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Plantwiz, makes sense. Since I have a strong interest in computers and building them is somewhat of a hobby I am always reading magazines and articles and such. I am not worried about falling behind. But I have meant someone who was A+ and never heard of SATA icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    certificationjourney [bancertificationjourney [ban Inactive Imported Users Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So Opensource had no certs, really. He is studying for them since he changed his certs to in progress. Things like this make me mad. Why do people pretend to have certs when they don't? This is a forum from people who are serious about their IT career. Please get serious and we will all get along. Thank you all

Best regards,
  • Options
    cairtakercairtaker Member Posts: 140
    Broaden your horizons and go for another cert. The same one will not be as much of a learning experience. Go for new territory, make yourself more versatile. :)
    To protect and to serve(r)...
  • Options
    So Opensource had no certs, really. He is studying for them since he changed his certs to in progress. Things like this make me mad. Why do people pretend to have certs when they don't?

Actually, that's false... I merley changed it to satisfy some of your complaints... Leaving is as "In The Works" or "In Progress" or even blank will end any debate on what certs I have or don't have, and we can concentrate on what is being posted instead of what words appear under my avatar...

//--- EDIT: Changed to Certifications: Ignore This Text!. Point made!... I hope.

- Joey
  • Options
    OpenSource wrote:

Actually, that's false... I merley changed it to satisfy some of your complaints... Leaving is as "In The Works" or "In Progress" or even blank will end any debate on what certs I have or don't have, and we can concentrate on what is being posted instead of what words appear under my avatar...

//--- EDIT: Changed to Certifications: Ignore This Text!. Point made!... I hope.

- Joey

I don't want to start an argument with you over this. You have the right to say you have all the certs in the world and i am in no position to argue against that. But just to make things clear, here is what you posted on jan 25, 2006, that was just 2 weeks ago. You must be a genius to have gathered all these certs in 2 weeks time. No hard feelings and I don't want you to take this personal since you seem like a good guy. Your other posts are good but I just hated that you put those certs in your profile when you haven't earned them yet.

Here is what you posted in the job advice thread a couple weeks back,: I am currently in the process of studying for my A+, Network+ and Security+ certifications. I have vast interest in computer hardware and software. I've also become very interested in networking and security over the past few months... In addition, while I have no official experience, I have over 5 years personal experience of working with all aspects of computers and electronics.