Options

MSP remote vs working for one company / onsite

jam3s121jam3s121 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I am wondering if the grass is greener? I really don't like my MSP job anymore. It feels like I have to kiss every single persons butt when they call in, COO or CEO needs help? Better drop configuring desktops or troubleshooting task workers issues to drive an hour away to fix something silly. One of my bosses also has zero experience in IT, he is a "manager" and whenever we have a new client he over analyzes & micro manages every single thing to the point that it makes me want to scream. I understand that they are our clients and we need to cater to them, but lately a lot of the client demands have IMO been unreasonable and I am getting tired of getting shafted by getting home way after closing because I have to go to a client site 10minutes before I could theoretically just go home.

I've seen some postings for some big companies in my area, health insurance places, hospitals, etc. I am honestly at this point a desktop tech, A+, and MSCA Windows 7, yet less than half of my work deals with troubleshooting desktops or servers. The first few months of working at a MSP exploded my knowledge, I knew little about advanced networking and now I do (working on a cisco cert..) but it seems to have leveled off.

Comments

• Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the world of MSP's lol. While every MSP is different, the things you don't like about working at your job now you will find more often then not when working for MSP, specially smaller/medium size ones. I learned a ton of valuable people and troubleshooting skills when I worked for an MSP, but it was not something I would do for very long. But that is just me, some people like going to work and not knowing what kind of system or client they are going to be dealing with that day.

Bottom line is if you are not happy start looking around for a way out. Working with the same network and enviorment has it's perks, you get to know how things work and where they tend to break first.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sounds like the issue is bad management not the fact you work for an ISP.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    J_86 wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of MSP's lol. While every MSP is different, the things you don't like about working at your job now you will find more often then not when working for MSP, specially smaller/medium size ones. I learned a ton of valuable people and troubleshooting skills when I worked for an MSP, but it was not something I would do for very long. But that is just me, some people like going to work and not knowing what kind of system or client they are going to be dealing with that day.

Bottom line is if you are not happy start looking around for a way out. Working with the same network and enviorment has it's perks, you get to know how things work and where they tend to break first.

This is pretty accurate. I have worked for a large organization and it has its benefits. I am working for a MSP now, it also has its benefits. We will never be able to tell you if the grass truly is greener but I can tell you the issues you listed are some of my "cons" of working at an MSP as well (nothing like having to stop configuring an ASA to go and figure out why the COO at client B has three copies of all his outlook contacts).

I spend a good chunk of time doing non-technical things (sales, CSM, book keeping), but when I am doing technical work I am still learning things. If you have stopped learning things it might be a good time to look else ware if you are also unhappy.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's IT all the problems are the same. At an MSP you have to stop for XYZ and at a single company you have to stop for XYZ. I work for a government agency and when my Director comes down asking for something I can't say "well what I am working on is vastly more important". It very well could be, but his position dictates that his issue/question is more important then anyone elses. At the MSP it was the same thing, there's no getting away from it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff