Options

Being torn between online schools

thisdudehenrythisdudehenry Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Little background about myself: 4 Years military, currently have an Associates in I.T with CompTia A+,S+ and a Top Secret Clearance. I want to make a career change into Software Engineering or Software career field in general. I am separating soon and going back to Pennsylvania. I plan to get my Masters at Penn-state but for my Bachelors I want it to be online because of job, family and my guard duty that will be on the weekend. I plan to be earning this degree while working at a IT Support type job because of my experience and be able to do some hands on projects to gain experience and add to my resume.

The first school seems to be the most controversial WGU Software Development. I have done a lot of research and its like 50/50. Some are saying Degree doesnt matter, most employers just see Bachelors and look to see for your achievements/ experience / portfolio(github etc). Others are saying employers would rather see Computer Science because most will not know or question a "Software Development" degree. One neat thing I also like is the extra certs it comes with and how at your own pace it is. Makes me feel like I would be able to do side projects while I am working my I.T job. Just doesnt have much electives or anything. But I will be able to enroll to the Penn-state Masters.

The second school is Trident University. It is a highly military friendly school with what I think to seem like a nice Computer Science Degree. I went to this school before for a general education course and it was papers on top of papers just for a speech class. Pretty sure it will be the same for the Computer Science course. Courses seem to me like a normal CS degree maybe less math? I feel like I would be busy doing papers and not be able to do side projects and develop at work. You can only choose 3 electives but it feels like I would need 4. I would want to choose CSC 317 Database system 2, CSC 310 Advanced Programming Topics ( basically java communicating with databases), CSC320Web engineering and programming 1, CSC405 Web engineering and programming 2. Was advised about the school and stay clear

The last school is UMUC. I've searched around and people seem to like this school. Some just didn't choose it because of the price but since I am military the price cost is reduced. I have read good reviews on it and it seems that i will have a bit more freedom in choose my electives. I just dont know how the course work will be or how people will see it since its not University of Maryland (UMD).
This seems to be the choice voted for.

If there are any other schools that I am not aware of or any that fit my credentials please let me know.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe I'm not following your timelines correctly but you want to work an IT support job until you're done your MS? If so get the cheapest/fastest BS program you can that will get you into your MS program, my opinion anyway. Check the three schools with Penn State, I've never heard of Trident so I don't really have an opinion there. From the programmers I know just having any degree puts you ahead of a lot of others, being able to actually do the work is the most important part, the rest is a checkbox.

If you are planning on waiting that long to switch fields (which I don't suggest doing) it could be quite a long time. If you do the 2 remaining years at any of the schools where you can't accelerate, but do it part time because you are working full time, you're looking at what, 2-4 more years before you finish your BS, then starting an MS program so at least another 2 after that?
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm not following your timelines correctly but you want to work an IT support job until you're done your MS? If so get the cheapest/fastest BS program you can that will get you into your MS program, my opinion anyway. Check the three schools with Penn State, I've never heard of Trident so I don't really have an opinion there. From the programmers I know just having any degree puts you ahead of a lot of others, being able to actually do the work is the most important part, the rest is a checkbox.

If you are planning on waiting that long to switch fields (which I don't suggest doing) it could be quite a long time. If you do the 2 remaining years at any of the schools where you can't accelerate, but do it part time because you are working full time, you're looking at what, 2-4 more years before you finish your BS, then starting an MS program so at least another 2 after that?

Sorry if the formatting is weird, when I read it I thought it flowed correctly. But you were right in the sense of getting the fastest BS to get into my MS program. I guess whats making me un-easy are the comments like " Get a CS degree its highly looked at etc". I believe the other schools are 8 week courses if I remember correctly and I believe since they are both military friendly they will accept if most maybe all my credits from my current AS degree and 2 certificates. I know with WGU I can power through a lot because I am used to studying and self motivating myself.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Don't even think about Trident - it's a fly by night for-profit school. Yeah, they market to military, but so do plenty of legit non-profit schools.

I've had good results with WGU, but UMUC is certainly respectable as well. I didn't consider it due to cost, but if you have military benefits, I'm sure that could sway your decision.

Again, no matter what, don't get suckered into a for-profit school.
  • Options
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    Don't even think about Trident - it's a fly by night for-profit school. Yeah, they market to military, but so do plenty of legit non-profit schools.

I've had good results with WGU, but UMUC is certainly respectable as well. I didn't consider it due to cost, but if you have military benefits, I'm sure that could sway your decision.

Again, no matter what, don't get suckered into a for-profit school.

I will look into UMUC a bit more and maybe narrow my decisions between UMUC and WGU.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is just my opinion, but I would be leaning towards UMUC. The reason is solely because it local online college to where you are. Think it would look better when applying to positions around your area. Most people would probably see WGU and wonder where and what that is. And you'll get questioned about it. Doubt anyone is going to give a second thought of University of Maryland University College since your located in Pennsylvania.

Anything to make an online college look better is a plus in my mind. People on here of course know what WGU is but HR will mostly likely have no clue.

Also, think the fact it would give you a degree in "Computer Science" would look better as well.
  • Options
    This is just my opinion, but I would be leaning towards UMUC. The reason is solely because it local online college to where you are. Think it would look better when applying to positions around your area. Most people would probably see WGU and wonder where and what that is. And you'll get questioned about it. Doubt anyone is going to give a second thought of University of Maryland University College since your located in Pennsylvania.

Anything to make an online college look better is a plus in my mind. People on here of course know what WGU is but HR will mostly likely have no clue.

Also, think the fact it would give you a degree in "Computer Science" would look better as well.

I appreciate the input and agree with you. I have a few questions.

1- How common / difficult is it for someone with a Computer Science degree to learn the languages? I know like with WGU they are geared towards Java and help you learn it. While CS gives you the foundations and doesnt really focus on a particular language or am I wrong?

2- I know certs are not required but is there anything else that can help someone stand out with just the CS degree? I know github and projects. Liked the fact WGU had the certs but It might be enough that I have 2 already.
  • Options
    I appreciate the input and agree with you. I have a few questions.

1- How common / difficult is it for someone with a Computer Science degree to learn the languages? I know like with WGU they are geared towards Java and help you learn it. While CS gives you the foundations and doesnt really focus on a particular language or am I wrong?

2- I know certs are not required but is there anything else that can help someone stand out with just the CS degree? I know github and projects. Liked the fact WGU had the certs but It might be enough that I have 2 already.

I believe schools usually focus around one language. I know the one I went to focused on Java. I got a degree in "Computer Information Systems", which was only like 2 classes away from a degree in "Computer Science". There were some other web development classes that focused on HTML, PHP, CSS. But most of the classes were strictly Java. I'm assuming most schools are like the one I went to where they will teach how to program from the very beginning, you don't really need an understanding of it before hand. (of course it helps a little if you did)

As far as learning other languages, once you learn one object-oriented language (like Java), it will make the others MUCH easier to learn as well. I haven't done any programming in a few years and was taking a look C# and Python lately. And they just look simple. The syntax is different but it isn't difficult to understand what is going on.

I don't really know of any certs that would help someone in Software Engineering. The only thing I could think of that would help would be to try writing your own programs and be able to show them to your potential employers when you get an interview.
  • Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends on the school but you should take a look at some basic programming tutorials on Codeacademy, Lydia etc.. to get started with the basics if you have no experience. Most Colleges expect you to have some level of knowledge unless you're taking the basic entry level classes.

It depends on what you want to do, you can look at the c++ certifications but honestly a computer science degree is usually enough to get in the door, it's not as dependent on certs like networking and security has become
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Stick with Maryland if your overall goal is to gain access to PSU. Point blank. No discussion, necessary. Its in the same region as Penn State, respectable, known quantity, etc.

Computer Science used to be a math degree with some bonus programming on the side, btw. Today its pretty tame but I would expect the pendulum to shift back to include more of an analytical approach, heavier on statistical analysis and languages like 'R'. If you haven't figured it out or noticed its already infront of you everyday in A/V, NBADs firewalls. The statistical approach hasn't had its Janus moment yet but its clearly coming. At that point security become just a function of probability rather than the finite property of today. Follow the bouncing math ball if you can.

- b/eads
  • Options
    beads wrote: »
    Stick with Maryland if your overall goal is to gain access to PSU. Point blank. No discussion, necessary. Its in the same region as Penn State, respectable, known quantity, etc.

Computer Science used to be a math degree with some bonus programming on the side, btw. Today its pretty tame but I would expect the pendulum to shift back to include more of an analytical approach, heavier on statistical analysis and languages like 'R'. If you haven't figured it out or noticed its already infront of you everyday in A/V, NBADs firewalls. The statistical approach hasn't had its Janus moment yet but its clearly coming. At that point security become just a function of probability rather than the finite property of today. Follow the bouncing math ball if you can.

- b/eads

Thank you for the information and advice I really appreciate it. I will look into UMUC a bit more, they do offer a transcript eval with unofficial transcripts provided. I forwarded them my A.S and 2 CompTia's certs to see what transfers and what is left over.

**edit**
    Someone stated this to me any thoughts? I feel like this would be based to how much work you put into it and how you apply what you learn in the real world like creating projects etc?

I am not a CS major but I took some classes at UMUC before I transferred to UMD. Here's my perspective on it: Numerous CS/IT students in my professional writing classes complained that the classes primarily teach theory. There is no lab, not even a virtual sandbox environment.
    Online and classroom at UMUC are very similar. Only difference is with classroom you are guaranteed 2-3 hours lecture every week. Online does not always have lectures. You may just be reading, and talking to other students online (professors don't always comment on "discussions"). All tests and quizzes are done online. In person classes are conducted in a bare-bones classroom. No access to labs of any type, ever (including for physical science classes that claim to have a lab component).
    100-200 level classes usually consisted of weekly readings, discussions, and sometimes quizzes; 1-2 major papers or projects; midterm and final exams.
    It is very easy to get an A/B if you do the required work.
    However, I personally did not think UMUC offered very useful education. I think the degrees are only useful if you are already working in that field, and you need a degree to gain a promotion. The school is very popular with military for that reason. Outside of the military I think it's a lot less useful. I absolutely do NOT recommend getting a degree at UMUC for a career change. I don't think it will help you break into a field. UMUC offered very little support for finding internships and jobs outside of DC based government and military.
    The school is designed to collect GI bill money, prepare military for promotion, and funnel workers into the federal defense contractor industry which is based in DC.
    Edit: that said, I think it's better than for profit universities. It is regionally accredited, however UMD does not take their CS classes. It is also more expensive than some state schools (it actually costs me less to attend UMD).
  • Options
    I would contact UMD and check about that "not accepting CS classes".

Also, not sure what he meant about not having a lab/sandbox. I know at my college we wrote the programming assignments on our own computers and just submitted our code to the instructor. He would then check and run the code on his computer for grading. Don't know if he is looking for actually lab time with an instructor or what.

I would look at the course curriculum to see if that covers what you want, look for more opinions about the college, and see if your able to do the Masters at UMD with a degree from UMUC.
  • Options
    I would prob transfer to Penn-states masters after completing the UMUC BS CS. I appreciate your input and I will look into each course to see what it entails.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    - b/eads

b/eads beat me to the punch. Look at what Penn State's requirements for entrance. Being regionally accredited in the same area and a well known school will support your goal. I'm enrolling to UMUC now for my MS and having compared online schools for the last year it constantly comes up on top.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here are the classes that IT certifications will qualify for at UMUC:

https://www.umuc.edu/students/support/exams/industryspecific.cfm

Just a heads up, using certs to get credit for classes only count as lower level credit, even if they are upper level courses. You will need a minimum of 45 hours of upper level credit to graduate.

UMUC was alright for the 4 years I went there online. If you are in Maryland, you can go to their actual campus for courses. I took 2 IT courses (Intro to Cybersecurity and Social Network & Cybersecurity Best Practices) and they were okay. I would have preferred a little more involvement from the professors and grading focused more on the course content as opposed to objective parameters like APA formatting...
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ideally you'd go to a brick and mortar type school but after the military and life becoming more complicated its not always the best choice. Personally I went in the Army came out went to school, couldn't find work in IT (yes there was a time) went back in for a few years, came back out and restarted my civilian career having the Army pay for my MBA while I was in. Whew! Yeah, I did a Master's out of a backpack. Field duty and deployments notwithstanding. By no means the easy way out but it was possible if your determined. And besides, it was FREE while I was on active with some original GI bill. Now, some commanders weren't so thrilled about "paying" for my education but it was immediately reimbursed anyway.

Odd thing was I never got a single private, spec or sergeant to take as much as a CLEP while I was in. Now, Lieutenant's wives yes. Senior Officers, yes. I dunno. Yes, I was in combat arms at the time as well. We aren't talking REMF duty by any means.

- b/eads