Options

Study Lab Setup

chefonthegochefonthego Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have 4 systems connected to the internet by a 4 port wired router. One I want to make one a Domain Controller using 2003 Server. I Have a .com Name registered to me. I want another one to be a web server for the Domain Name Using IIS On XP Pro. I have a static IP Provided By My ISP.( Cox ). The other 2 Machines I want to be workstations for the Domain on XP Pro. Give me some direction. how do I configure my network?? How do I configure dns & Dhcp w/ this setup. My ISP Gives me\ 2 DNS IP's to use. can I use them for the setup?? how do I configure this setup??? My Router has dhcp , do I disable it??? Please respond back. Despartly needing some help w/ this.I'm Kinda new to this whole dns & dhcp thing, so any help is appreicated.

Comments

• Options
    AnthonyJD81AnthonyJD81 Member Posts: 187
    This can be hard to explain if you are not knowledgable about how DNS, DHCP, and domain controllers work. Since it is only a lab environment, security is obviously not a major concern.

You could setup your 2003 Server box with RRAS. Of course, it will have to be multihomes (dual NICs). Physically, plug the four machines into the hub. On the 2nd NIC on the 2k3 server box, plug in the internet connection. You can set up that machine to do everything for you. Install AD and configure the DC along with DNS and DHCP. Configure DNS for forward lookup to your ISP's DNS server. Make sure the workstations are set up for dynamic IP addressing.

RRAS can be complicated the first time. You may want to purchase a book for reference and support. If you are running AD in the network, DNS will be required. All three workstations will automatically forward their name resolution requests to the DNS server (which is also your router, dhcp server, and domain controller).

You should be set to go. Begin creating user accounts, groups, OUs, etc...

I hope this helps but like i said, it will be tough if your unexperienced with this. I may have forgotten a few things as well. if more help come to my mind I will let you know....good luck!