Options

another "best book" thread - 70-646

Hi there, it's been a while since I've studied for a cert.

I'd like to upgrade my MCSA 2003 to MCITP Server Administrator 2008
and I'm thinking of starting with exam 70-646.

Can I get some book recommendations?

I'm particularly interested in this one (see attached) which seems to have some great reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Server-Administration-Preparation/dp/1423902386/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1431698998&sr=8-3&keywords=70-646

Any advice on picking the right book is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    I would avoid anything that has the title of MCITP because it's more than likely older information. MS doesn't even give out that title anymore (if you got the MCITP prior to them moving to MCSA / MCSE then you still have that title).

I used the MS Publishing books for the 70-646, 70-642 and 70-640 and they were solid. Make sure to get the second edition ones that cover the new R2 material. Also watch out, i have yet to find a book that covers 100% of the exam, at best i've found they cover about 60% and you have to supplement the other 40% with online material like Pluralsight, CBT Nuggets and technet.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You won't be able to upgrade since 70-648 (upgrade MCSA 2003 to MCSA 200icon_cool.gif did expire AFAIR on 3/1/2014.

70-646 is fine though, but in order to get full MCITP you'll have to pass several stand-alone exams cause your upgrade option is no more.

Because of that, it's probably pointless to do that considering that 2012 R2 is around for a while and MS is about to roll out next generation.

I'd say either head to MCSA 2012 and further to MCSE: SA or Private Cloud or wait half a year and get prepared for next gen server.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Agree with gespenstern on that note. Since you can't upgrade and 2008 is aging, I would aim for 2012 and plan on upgrading that to the new server flavor in the next year or two.