Options

Anyone thinking in terms of 'R' Programming?

beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
I see this as being an almost lifehack skillset for anyone in the IP world of work. The ability to take all this noisy data: Information, alerts, logs, warnings, blinking lights and all the rest isn't really helping me much. I need real analysis to help me cut through the noise and start making intelligent predictions. Hence I found R programming for statistics.

Its fantastic and nearly limitless as to what I am able to statistically formulate once I get better, "cleaner" data sets. Am I the only one seeing this? Its like having a hadoop cluster at my desktop without the hassle.

- b/eads

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think most people would use SPSS or Systat if they were looking for a desktop solution to crunch statistical data. I don't ever run into people using R but it comes up in conversation. Sounds like a fun tool if you are into statistics.
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    I see this as being an almost lifehack skillset for anyone in the IP world of work. The ability to take all this noisy data: Information, alerts, logs, warnings, blinking lights and all the rest isn't really helping me much. I need real analysis to help me cut through the noise and start making intelligent predictions. Hence I found R programming for statistics.

Its fantastic and nearly limitless as to what I am able to statistically formulate once I get better, "cleaner" data sets. Am I the only one seeing this? Its like having a hadoop cluster at my desktop without the hassle.

- b/eads

Would you mind sharing a few high-level examples of what you've used this for so far??
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Took the toolbox class from John Hopkins, I found it okay, but in my line of business it doesn't really make sense. If you are in statistics or heavily analystics it has it's place. I agree solid skill to have if you want to go into that line of work, I don't! :)