Options

Need advice on staying/leaving field

fatalforcefatalforce Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I've recently been offered a position to work for the federal government for a non-IT position which I may or may not enjoy doing, and I'm having a difficult time making a decision on whether to accept or not. I'm currently working at a datacenter in an entry-level position building out servers, and I enjoy working there. The benefits aren't that bad either. However, the only way to move up in the company is if someone higher up leaves, which only happened once in the last five years.

The government job is a 2 year program. If I pass several exams, I'll be brought on as a permanent employee. If I fail those exams, I'm out. So I'm at a lost as to what to do. If I stay, there's no guarantee that I'll be able to move up whether with my current company or another if I stay in the field and acquire more experience and certifications. This may also be my only chance at getting a federal position, since it is so incredibly difficult to get one in the first place. If I leave and it works out, I'll pretty much be set until I retire. However, if it doesn't work out, I'll be back to square one, trying to find another entry-level IT position.

At this point, I'm at a complete loss at what to do. I have until Monday morning to make a decision. If you were in my position, what would you do?

Comments

• Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    fatalforce wrote: »
    Hello,

I've recently been offered a position to work for the federal government for a non-IT position which I may or may not enjoy doing, and I'm having a difficult time making a decision on whether to accept or not. I'm currently working at a datacenter in an entry-level position building out servers, and I enjoy working there. The benefits aren't that bad either. However, the only way to move up in the company is if someone higher up leaves, which only happened once in the last five years.

The government job is a 2 year program. If I pass several exams, I'll be brought on as a permanent employee. If I fail those exams, I'm out. So I'm at a lost as to what to do. If I stay, there's no guarantee that I'll be able to move up whether with my current company or another if I stay in the field and acquire more experience and certifications. This may also be my only chance at getting a federal position, since it is so incredibly difficult to get one in the first place. If I leave and it works out, I'll pretty much be set until I retire. However, if it doesn't work out, I'll be back to square one, trying to find another entry-level IT position.

At this point, I'm at a complete loss at what to do. I have until Monday morning to make a decision. If you were in my position, what would you do?

So you are still working an entry-level position now, even though you have been working there for around 5 years? icon_redface.gif And if you leave you would have to go find more entry level work? icon_scratch.gif

Honestly, and I could be wrong... it don't seem like you care much about your career as much as you care about finding a job to punch in and out of until you no longer are obligated.

I would like to help if I can but its difficult helping people who lack motivation and the self-drive to improve themselves... the good thing is is that you must have some to sign up and post on the forums... so I guess the first question is do you really want to be in IT that long? And what do you enjoy doing the most within the field? If I were you i would start studying and certifying right now in my current position, so that you no longer think you are entry-level, and can pursue the positions you want without feeling that if it don't work out with one you have to revert to the bottom of the totem pole
  • Options
    fatalforcefatalforce Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So you are still working an entry-level position now, even though you have been working there for around 5 years? icon_redface.gif And if you leave you would have to go find more entry level work? icon_scratch.gif

Honestly, and I could be wrong... it don't seem like you care much about your career as much as you care about finding a job to punch in and out of until you no longer are obligated.

I would like to help if I can but its difficult helping people who lack motivation and the self-drive to improve themselves... the good thing is is that you must have some to sign up and post on the forums... so I guess the first question is do you really want to be in IT that long? And what do you enjoy doing the most within the field? If I were you i would start studying and certifying right now in my current position, so that you no longer think you are entry-level, and can pursue the positions you want without feeling that if it don't work out with one you have to revert to the bottom of the totem pole

Ah, let me be more clear. I started this position a few months ago, and the site manager who has been here for about 5 years recently moved on, so they promoted someone from within. There are people here still working the same entry level position, and they've been here for nearly 5 years. I got a few basic certifications over the past year and was considering either pursuing a Security+ or CCNA for my next certification. Since I only have about a year of entry-level experience under my belt, it's difficult to say what it is that I enjoy doing since I have little to no experience in networking/security. I enjoy the hardware aspects of my current position, but that isn't exactly a career.

I would like to be in IT, but I'm looking at this long-term. Would I being jumping from company to company every few years later on down the line, or would I stay with one company for a good portion of my career? How would the work/life balance be? Benefits? Should worse come to be, would I be able to find another job near the end of my career/retirement age? It's the uncertainty that's causing me to hesitate. It took me a few months to even land my current position, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle that length of unemployment again should things not work out. IT is a highly competitive field, and the area I'm in is swarming with talented individuals.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you can get your foot in the door in a fed position it might be worth it right now for you. I've seen people move career fields without problem, retain their pay, retirement, etc. Once you're locked in to civil service you're set as you've mentioned. If in a few years you get the itch to move out and make more then you can do that as well. I would suggest not staying in a spot where you're stuck, but that's just me. I'm always trying to do more and move up.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Whichever is going to advance your career, advance your life, and make you happy I would say do that.

Being that you are entry level then this is the time you would want to switch careers as you aren't going to take a huge financial hit compared to someone that is senior or mid level.