Options

Weighing Options for Job Opportunity

markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I got sent an email for a job opportunity. I'm not applying for anything as I'm fine where I'm at for the moment, but it sounds interesting, I'm just kind of weighing it against my own job. I asked her for the salary range and she said it was 50-55k full time (they pay for certs and have practice labs setup).

Right now I make 45k, full time, with so-so benefits (pays for passed certs, but medical sucks, and 401k is meh). I'm a supervisor/level 2, but it's almost entirely end-user issues. Although, I am planning to transfer to another department where it would be help desk still, however it would be WAY more technical with microsoft server issues, exchange, etc. It's not 100% guaranteed, but in theory I should be able to pass an interview and get it. The hours for that would be 6 to 2:30 m-f which is nice.

I asked the person for the hours on this and she said it's 12 hour shifts with 3 days off one week, 4 days off the next. Not sure the exact hours though. Commute would be the same. Here's the job description:

• 1-3 years experience in the IT industry is preferred
• Experience in one or more of the following if preferred:
o Enterprise monitoring tools (ie experience managing alerts using SCOM, PAN, SIM, Xymon, Remedy BPPM, HP Openview, etc.) or;
o Technical support position in a windows based environment (customer facing website environment a plus) or;
o Technical support position in a Unix/Linux based environment (Oracle Database knowledge a plus) or;
o Working with wide area network technologies, and troubleshooting concepts and techniques.
• Enterprise experience with Windows Server Platform: 2003, 2008, 2012
• Experience with ESXi
• Scripting skills (PowerShell, WMI, VBScript, ADSI, DOS shell, bash, ksh)
• Commitment to quality, customer service and team environment
• Previous NOC experience preferred.

Some of what you’ll be doing:
• Monitor servers, network and applications utilizing standard tools including but not limited to Remedy products and HP Openview
• Monitor and control the status, operability and performance of the physical data center environment.
• Drive operational best practices for Windows/Network/Unix systems based on ITIL
• Create and maintain process and templates for documentation
• Ensure SLA’s are met for the systems.

Sounds like a NOC job, which is fine. I was going towards MS certs because of the environment I'm in now, but I'm open to doing that too as I have my CCNA/Security and I'm about to have my Linux+. I'm going to setup an interview but curious what others thought I should do.

Comments

• Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you want off the help desk and more into the infrastructure I would say go for it. a year or 2 in this position and you should be able to move into a good system admin or network admin gig pretty easily.

in my experience 12 hours shifts are usually 3on 4 off, 4on 3 off rotations
  • Options
    cruwl wrote: »
    If you want off the help desk and more into the infrastructure I would say go for it. a year or 2 in this position and you should be able to move into a good system admin or network admin gig pretty easily.

in my experience 12 hours shifts are usually 3on 4 off, 4on 3 off rotations

Is this typically graveyard or not necessarily? The recruiter should be able to answer that but just curious as that probably wouldn't be ideal.

The position I'd take here next should give me more experience to get into infrastructure also since there would be a lot of server issues, although at this new place, it doesn't sound like I'd take inbound calls like a help desk which is a BIG + in my book.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It seems like you'd be working way over 40 hours on average, no?

5 days/week = 60 hours.
    4 days/week = 48 hours.

54 hours a week on average seems like it might be breaking a lot of laws.
  • Options
    D'oh. I meant work 3 days one week, work 4 days one week. I mistyped that sorry.
  • Options
    As far as grave yards go, talk to the recruiter. Usually they know if the opening is for days or nights. I've been lucky in my past NOC jobs I was always on days. Usually the Night crew get and extra 10-20% on top of the pay for nights as well, its usually a whole lot slower as well.

Not taking inbound calls can be a huge + to work happiness :)

Generally you're going to get a larger bump in pay taking a new job with a new company rather then being promoted/transferred internally. So keep that in mind as well.

I would recommend applying for/interviewing for it even if its not exactly what you want. worse case you get more experience with interviewing for more technical type positions.
  • Options
    cruwl wrote: »
    As far as grave yards go, talk to the recruiter. Usually they know if the opening is for days or nights. I've been lucky in my past NOC jobs I was always on days. Usually the Night crew get and extra 10-20% on top of the pay for nights as well, its usually a whole lot slower as well.

Not taking inbound calls can be a huge + to work happiness :)

Generally you're going to get a larger bump in pay taking a new job with a new company rather then being promoted/transferred internally. So keep that in mind as well.

I would recommend applying for/interviewing for it even if its not exactly what you want. worse case you get more experience with interviewing for more technical type positions.

So I'll talk to her in a couple hours and I'll ask. I don't take inbound calls now, but if I switched over to that other side of the help desk, I would be. I also would not receive a bump in pay, just more experience. The next level in pay here is probably the pay this new place is offering me.

I think if the hours work, I'll consider it. A $5 an hour raise is pretty sweet and it looks like it would be a fun job.
  • Options
    So talked to the recruiter. Looks like it's rotating shifts every 3 months from days to graveyard, however it sounds like if you prefer one you may be able to keep it. I told her the bare minimum I would need is $25 an hour as I love my job right now (I make $21.50 now). Not sure if I adjust that number...

Sounds like there's heavy emphasis on virtualization, which I really really want to get my hands on, but I don't have much experience. I told her (not sure she relays this to the company) that I honestly only have about 1.5 year of IT experience but I've moved up quickly, got a lot of certs, almost have my BS, and I'm super motivated. If they decide to hire me they need to realize I don't have a ton of experience.
  • Options
  • Options
    So they emailed back...They said there is overtime so 25 an hour would equal ~57k and that's outside of the range. I countered back if they did $24, which falls back right underneath 55k and I'll see what they say. The recruiter said if the numbers worked they want to follow through with the next steps, which makes it sound like they are interested.

First time I've actually negotiated my pay so hopefully it goes well. Feels good to not just say yes to any number they throw at me.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is this a contract position? I guess I've never talked about salary in terms of "per hour" besides contract jobs.
  • Options
    It's a contract to FTE after the probation period. So the recruiter gave me a range and I am trying to maximize it as much as possible.
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mark, I worked in a data center that was 3 on, 3 off, 4 on, 4 off. 8:00 pm to 8:00 am Sun-Tues and every other Saturday. I was contract, because that is what you needed to do for 1.5-2 yrs before getting hired by the company. The 4 day weeks to tend to get to you, but you love the freedom when you are off. Do you know if the contract rate is the same rate the company would pay if hired? I
  • Options
    I don't know yet as I haven't had an interview but it definitely was one of the questions I was going to ask. If the hours just seem poor or the raise is only a dollar more an hour I'm going to pass. I've got opportunities at my job to get into more infrastructure as soon as I graduate in a month or two so no reason to jump ship unless it's really worth it.
  • Options
    The salary from the company is usually less than the contracting rate. You get benefits and hopefully paid holidays from the company, but you don't with the contracting firm, or you have to pay for the benefits. Remember, the contracting firm is there to make money on you, so they may come in with a low offer.
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    They must be pretty interested in you if they are willing to talk salary before a technical interview. Most places just give you a range and talk numbers when they decide they are interested. Looks like this might be a good place to work. Good luck.
  • Options
    guy9guy9 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will just talk about the 12hr shifts, not going to attempt to lead you right or left as far as the job. I worked at a night job (that was 12hrs Wednesday-Friday 8hrs every other Saturday. Lets say you got off Saturday morning, you wouldn't have to be back at work until 7pm the following Wednesday. You have the opportunity to travel depending on your clearance not saying you're supposed to and not saying you should tell anybody. It has pros and cons. Let a holiday fall on a Friday or a Wednesday.............I am the happiest person you've ever seen in your entire life. I left that job, and I honestly regret it as we speak.
  • Options
    Depending on the job, you may not get holidays. I worked in a data center, they're always open. And as a contractor, you don't get paid days off. But having those 4 days off, I was able to travel. But when you have a family, 12 hour shifts can be hard on you and your family.
  • Options
    I think I'll go to the interview if they agree on the money, but I'm going to be a bit skeptical about the hours. Not sure that it will work with a wife and kids very well.
  • Options
    Okay so the recruiter replied back with $23 an hour for contractor rate, then after 90 days and FTE, the rate depends on my performance. I told her that was fine and I'd want to continue the process.

I just spoke with my current boss and he said I can transfer over to a different department very soon. That would expose me to many more Server issues, Exchange issues, firewalls, and just infrastructure related issues in general. The only issue being, like I mentioned before, is that it is still a help desk position so I'm taking inbound calls and still handling simple password resets, browser issues, etc. Regardless, I'll be able to levy either job into an even better one with the experience I get.
  • Options
    Wow. I have a phone interview tomorrow and they are putting all candidates on hold until they talk to me because my "resume outshines everyone".
  • Options
    Had the phone interview and got feedback from the recruiter. They said they liked everything about me but wasn't sure if I'd leave a job I enjoy so much. With 3 months of 12 hour shifts on days then 3 months on graveyard it's too hard with a family.

While taking inbound calls isn't ideal, the hours work perfectly and I still have just as many opportunities here. Pay will likely be the same after full time as mjnk77 said.