Options

VRRP Accept data + no preempt

mahmoudsheirmahmoudsheir Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dears,

Please advise for configuring VRRP at Juniper router, I'm trying to configure VRRP with no-preempt option at the master router and also make the VIP IP accepting data and the behavior happens as the following:

1- I 'm configuring a track for interface with a priority cost
2- I shut the interface the VRRP switchs to the backup
3- When i bring the interface up the router regains the master again although no-preempt is already configured???

When i disabled the VIP IP from accepting data and repeat the same steps the router didn't regain the master and stayed at the backup state which is the correct behavior when the no-preempt option is already configured.

So please advise is there any relation between the no-preempt option and the VIP IP accept data.

Comments

• Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    That is odd behavior, accept-data only means that the VIP can respond to requests sent directly to it and should have no bearing on preemption. Which version of code are you running?
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    mahmoudsheirmahmoudsheir Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm using JUNOS 12.3R2.5
  • Options
    zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try again and see if you can replicate the issues? If so, include what you find, some outputs, and your config from both routers?

Like Aldur said, there shouldn't be a relation between the two features. Perhaps there was something else going on with the routers or the interfaces when you tested this? Was one side missing the no-preempt? Or maybe it was configured but not committed? VRRP is an old and stable feature in Junos, and I really wouldn't expect to see a bug like this in 12.3... but, anything is possible. Definitely let us know if it's still an issue and we'll get this figured out! :)