Options

Just to make life fun - Fake Degrees

cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
Allegedly one of the largest companies in Pakistan is trafficing in fake degrees and letters of authenticity

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/18/world/asia/fake-diplomas-real-cash-pakistani-company-axact-reaps-millions-columbiana-barkley.html?_r=0

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Funny. Just odd for someone to want to pay thousands for something that not only has no accreditation but something they are unlikely to be able back up in an interview with some simple questions. Like a janitor getting a degree in nuclear physics or something.
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Pretty grim read overall. Ethical boundaries put aside, unless you're some prodigy in the field you're buffing yourself for with fake credentials, I don't see how you're even going to survive long enough. You will be eventually found out or forever feel like you're missing something essential compared to your peers. I guess the pay bump makes up for the conscience and mental toll.
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You ever see the movie "Accepted"? I'm going to get my degree from South Harmon Institute of Technology (S.H.I.T.).
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    mjnk77 wrote: »
    You ever see the movie "Accepted"? I'm going to get my degree from South Harmon Institute of Technology (S.H.I.T.).

Hahahah, lol.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    Funny. Just odd for someone to want to pay thousands for something that not only has no accreditation but something they are unlikely to be able back up in an interview with some simple questions. Like a janitor getting a degree in nuclear physics or something.

To quote the Physics Bowl episode of Big Bang Theory,

"Here I am janitor. In former Soviet Union, I am physicist; Leningrad Polytechnica - Go Polar Bears."

But then if I had a dollar for every Indian CCNP network engineer I've seen who doesn't know what a traceroute is, I could hire a real network engineer.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I would love to see some of these actual headlines with S.H.I.T. for the college name:

- Landing Swanigan makes Purdue bigger, deeper but not automatically better
    - Asian-American groups accuse Harvard of discrimination
    - Harvard professor apologizes to Rick Santorum
    - Ohio University VP Lombardi accepts position at Cornell
    - Princeton swatting incidents likely connected to same suspects of similar hoaxes nationwide

LOL!!!
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used to work for a large publicly traded company whose CEO was found to have a fake diploma mill MBA, he lost the job.