Options

Path to BDM/ Sales

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
Who has experience with Business Development Manager jobs? When I was working with a vendor, it was a natural progression from being a pure sales person to become a BDM handling one (or few) key clients. I think this is something that I want to do.

So possible target jobs: Sales/Presales/Technical Account Manager/Business Development Manager.

Any tips on where to start? How to get there? success stories?

My plan of action:
1. Stay for a little bit more in current job (been there 3 months only...getting exposure to cool security gear).

2. Apply for PreSales (higher chance of getting a job)...or Sales (lesser chance but not impossible) or BDM (not impossible but hard to get).

3. Nail the interview.

4. Get the job.

5. Come to TE to whinge about it ;) j/k
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Bump...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    PM me with your specific questions. I've been on the sales side for years now ( it's where the moneys at icon_razz.gif)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Unix, I'm not in a position of such, but........

I have several friends who hold similar roles and a few keys items I notice they have.

Not in this order

Solid Bachelors
    Long work history at one current position, not at all of their positions, but at least one.
    Strong vertical knowledge in a specific industry. My best friend since high school is a technical sales director (something like that title) and he knows AMI (smart grid) technology extremely well. He has gained skills writing RFP's, presenting, sales meetings and drinking a lot of makers.

None of these guys are degree less from what I have seen and all are very smart (usually), especially written and verbal skills.

One skill you really need for most of those roles is writing up RFP's and RFI's. That's how they get invited to present for a project.

Too Phil's point it is where the money is at. :)