Options

Just need a little advice. Changing over to Security

beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone
Just wanted to chime in and ask a few questions. I am interested in moving over to the Security world. I have been in IT since around 2000. I started on the telecommunications/Tech support track with some web application monitoring in the mix also. For the past year an a half I have been working as a Telecom/Network Infrastructure tech. I have taken a few Cisco classes over the years and was wondering should I go the Cisco track and get CCNA Security or is it better to just go the Security+ track and then maybe CISSP down the line? Just wanted to see what everyone though. Also whats the best way to study for it. There is a free online course at professormesser.com. Is there anytype of hands on practice I need to do alond with the studying like a simulator or something? Anyway thanks in advance and I wish you all the best.

Comments

• Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    With that much experience, you should be able to skim through the Security+ material and feel familiar with most of it. If not, absorb as much as you can. The cert itself may not be as useful as it's very entry-level. Some places like to see or require it.

The CCNA Security is more about managing Cisco security infrastructure devices. While securing and managing firewalls is important, I consider it relatively superficial security these days. Not a bad thing to go through, but it's just the tip of the iceberg.

From a cert-perspective, the CISSP is widely recognized but many infosec professionals don't necessarily give it a high regard in respect to its technical coverage. As a matter of fact, certs mean less once you're in the security space. The CISSP may help getting your foot in the door, but having a broader background experience tends to help to see the bigger picture.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    oh ok thanks so much. I was just thinking of all that. I know experience is good and I was thinking the I would get more miles out of the Security+ actually. I mean I have been around a lot of different atmospheres in I.T. and I feel Security+ would get me in the door. I just dont want to waste time or money on the wrong exams. I think it would give me a pretty good jumpstart. I have done some L1 support with Cisco firewall upgrades and have been in a lot of real world type stuff. TGhank you so much.