Job opportunity at Google :(

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
I was just contacted by a recruiter that is trying to fill a role at Google's office in my city. I just started a new position exactly a month ago. The Google position is relevant to my area and my experience. Bad thing about is that it is a contract position of 6 months. Would you guys consider it? I hate to leave a company after a month. Then again it's for Google. But then again, it's contract and not guaranteed I'll even get the job. So should I just try for the hell of it? Or not worth to waste my time?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Don't let the company name blind you. Ask yourself, how does this align with my goals?
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As a warning, most Google contractors don't become Google employees. That's not to say the position wouldn't be extended, but you may never be more then a contractor. I'd hold out for an in house position rather then contracting.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why not go through with it and see what happens?

I have a friend that interviewed with Amazon. He was offered the job. He turned it down. Some things happened at this current position. He went back to the hiring manager at Amazon and they took him on for another position within the group.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Don't let the company name blind you. Ask yourself, how does this align with my goals?

This x2. If this 6 month contract will lead to more things than what you're at now, then do it, otherwise don't do it.
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    I can't speak for tech companies but generally HR/recruiters love to hire employees based on where they worked before. I would think this would open up a lot of doors for you in the future.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Give up a full time gig for a 6 month contract?
    Unless there are some perks youre not mentioning, then nope.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One in the hand is worth two in the bush. I wouldn't give up a definite thing for a maybe unless it was a really good maybe.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I'd hold out for an in house position rather then contracting.

This right here ^
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You guys are absolutely right! At the moment i read the email, all kinda light bulbs went on and the path was all bright ahead of me but as I was thinking about it more and more and reading your replies, those light bulbs were going off 1 by 1 lol. But i did give my word to the recruiter that i would at least speak to them and send them my resume but I am not leaving my positions unless they change their position to a full time permanent role.
  • pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    This. I gave up an opportunity with Google because of this reason. I chose a networking gig (my first networking job) that paid 33% less instead.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Full time vs Contracting <== not a huge difference to me anymore. Actually I'm starting to see the merit in contracting; it's a legit way to job hopping, getting more experience, seeing more environments, not having to deal with internal politics, not getting bored with the same work over and over.

Regarding company name/brand; don't underestimate having "Google" on your CV.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    As a warning, most Google contractors don't become Google employees. That's not to say the position wouldn't be extended, but you may never be more then a contractor. I'd hold out for an in house position rather then contracting.

Seriously this. Cisco is the same way, do not bank on becoming full time via contract to hire. I have been a contractor for 2 years at Cisco, Blue badge has been dangled over my head. Take warning, when crap hits the fan contractors are always the first to go, you are cannon fodder. If you have a good stable position, in which you can continue to gain experience, I highly suggest not making a jump to being a contractor.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Now you have two years of experience working for Cisco, you can easily get a full time position elsewhere. The experience you gained working for cisco is gold!
    Blackout wrote: »
    Seriously this. Cisco is the same way, do not bank on becoming full time via contract to hire. I have been a contractor for 2 years at Cisco, Blue badge has been dangled over my head. Take warning, when crap hits the fan contractors are always the first to go, you are cannon fodder. If you have a good stable position, in which you can continue to gain experience, I highly suggest not making a jump to being a contractor.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    My gf is going back to google for a second time. The experience on resume is highly sought after. Top companies will pay big dollars to pull google employees. Personally I would take a slight pay cut at google for the experience, however its iffy when contracting with Google...they may never hire you on.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In this scenario, if I was single, no kids, no mortgage, etc; I'd probably take the risk. 10 years ago, I would have done it. Now I wouldn't consider it. Too high risk.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Full time vs Contracting <== not a huge difference to me anymore. Actually I'm starting to see the merit in contracting; it's a legit way to job hopping, getting more experience, seeing more environments, not having to deal with internal politics, not getting bored with the same work over and over.

Now you have two years of experience working for Cisco, you can easily get a full time position elsewhere. The experience you gained working for cisco is gold!

UnixGuy knows whats up

I would at least interview so you can see what it is like there. It could be the most amazing thing you have ever seen, or it could be a nightmare.

Also, I have 2 companies in the Fortune 50 on my resume, I think that definitely gets noticed by recruiters. Saying you successfully completed a contract at Google sounds like resume gold to me.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277

That is the main reason I am riding out where I am. Technologically they have NO clue what to do or what is going on (getting experience just they don't know how to prioritize and our upper management micromanages the hell out of us and are where they are by who they know and not experience). But the name so far has increased the call backs I am getting 10 fold.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good feedback here from both sides. Unfortunately I had to pass it, I'm not in my 20s anymore. I have a mortgage and bills to pay so I need something that's close to 100% guaranteed and not a contract position.
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check glassdoor, I was contacted by a company who contracts in to Google and they had horrible reviews on there. While I know Google is a good place to work, contracting in there didn't seem much too fun from the reviews.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Name recognition be it school or company get you in the door. That said, 6 Mo is a risk and if you're in a spot where you need a steady income and don't think you'll be marketable in 6 months, it may only be good for an interview.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • jamesenglishjamesenglish Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Definitely a tough decision. I'm sure you'll get a better offer down the road.